Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Wed 26 Dec 12 at 19:16 PM

Wrexham 4 AFC Telford United 1

A season’s best crowd of more than 4,300 witnessed Wrexham romp to victory in a derby day demolition of AFC Telford United.

Man-of-the-match Brett Ormerod set Wrexham on their way after two minutes before three goals in 11 second half minutes put the game well beyond the visitors’ reach.

Substitute Nick Rushton (60), Danny Wright (69) and Ormerod again (71) were on target before Telford substitute Jake Reid (73) grabbed one back.

It was the perfect reply to last Friday’s agonising defeat at Grimsby Town and sets Wrexham up nicely for the return fixture in Shropshire on New Year’s Day. But before then Tamworth visit the Racecourse on Saturday and manager Andy Morrell will be hoping for another win if this display is anything to go by.

With Danny Devine’s loan-spell having expired and Neil Ashton suspended boss Morrell was forced into a reshuffle. In came Danny Alfei and John Hunt, with Joe Clarke restored to the midfield and
 Adrian Cieslewicz">Adrian Cieslewicz handed a start in attack.

The Reds got this derby off to a frenetic start. The visitors failed to clear Jay Harris’s floated ball from a short corner and allowed Chris Westwood a free header on goal. His effort was beaten away by Ryan Young, but only into the path of Ormerod, who steadied himself before curling the ball into the net.

The Bucks looked to hit Wrexham on the break in between soaking up the relentless early pressure from the hosts. The tactic almost paid off when ex-Red Steve Leslie’s long-range effort just dropped over the bar as Wrexham momentarily lost their shape.

However, Wrexham conspired to ease off and allow Telford back into the game. Joslain Mayebi flung himself to his right to beat out Leslie’s fierce free-kick, before the big Cameroon shot stopper smothered another effort from the busy midfielder.

Wrexham lacked a calmness in defence as passes went astray and possession was squandered all too easily. They suffered a set-back when flying Pole Ciss exited the pitch injured after 27 minutes to be replaced by Rushton.

As half-time beckoned Wright forced Young into a fine save after he took Joe Clarke’s disguised pass in his stride.

And Clarke went for the spectacular in the first of four minutes added time but his 20 yard effort was well-held by Young.

The keeper was alert again to tip Harris’ angled drive around the post when he clearly intended for it to be a cross into the box.

Young almost undid all of his good work just minutes into the second half, spilling a Clarke centre on an increasingly-greasy surface.

He tipped over a fierce Harris drive as Wrexham continued to search for that all-important second goal.

Young then parried away Rushton’s drive but the young Wrexham striker was not to be denied from the resulting corner.

Telford failed to clear the set piece and Rushton rifled a shot through a sea of bodies and into the net from 12 yards.

Telford threw caution to the wind and paid a heavy price as Wrexham struck twice in three minutes.

First great aerial work by the unselfish Ormerod set Wright away for a composed chipped finish, and the former Blackpool striker grabbed his second from close range from Hunt’s low cross.

Telford substitute Jake Reid netted a consolation goal two minutes later before his namesake, Wrexham defender Bradley, replaced Ormerod who received a standing ovation for his vintage performance.

Wrexham saw out the remainder of the game with ease and have the psychological advantage ahead of next Tuesday’s trip to the New Bucks Head.

Wrexham: Mayebi; Alfei, Riley, Westwood, Hunt; Harris (Little 86), Clarke, Keates (cpt); Cieslewicz (Rushton 27), D Wright, Ormerod (Reid 83).
Subs: Walker, Colbeck.

AFC Telford United: 
Young, Salmon, Rose (Wylde 38), Preston, Valentine; Hubbins (Reid 61), Davies, Rooney, Trainer, Leslie (Spray 72); St Aimie.
Subs: Taylor, Collister.

Referee: Darren Handley (Lancs)
Attendance: 4,330
Away: 264

Bookings -
Wrexham: Keates (27, foul), Harris (56, foul)
Telford: Preston (50, foul), Davies (foul)

    Latest Match Reports