Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 11 Aug 12 at 22:12 PM

WREXHAM continue their opening day form

Goals from Rob Ogleby, Dean Keates and Mark Creighton secured the three points, and ultimately the scoreline was a fair reflection of the way the game panned out, leaving Andy Morrell's team top of the first table of the season.

However, there was a period during the second half when the visitors threatened to pull off an upset, and Wrexham were indebted to a fine save by Joslain Mayebi to keep the score at 2-1 with less than 20 minutes left.

Wrexham started brightly with debutant Brett Ormerod's movement making gaps appear in the Woking back line. Rob Ogleby was the main beneficiary of Ormerod's work, constantly using his pace to burst into the spaces the veteran striker created. He nearly opened the scoring after a quarter of an hour when a fine Danny Wright pass sent him clear through the middle, but his shot ripped into the side netting.

Three minutes later Ogleby hit the back of the net rather than the side of it. Jay Harris, who played with typical verve throughout, did well to help a loose ball wide to Neil Ashton, and his cross was met by a looping volley fromOglebywhich arced over Aaron Howe and inside the right hand post.

Wrexham threatened to build on their lead, Johnny Hunt being denied by a fine last ditch tackle from Joe McNerney after Ashton had sent him clear and then Ogleby went one on one with the keeper but hesitated and was tackled.

The second goal finally came as a result of a fine move:Dean Keateswas allowed to run unchallenged to the edge of the area and feed a clever ball to Ormerod, whose cross was touched on by Ogleby to the skipper, who had continued his run into the six yard box and finished with a ferocious drive from a tight angle.

Wrexham might have gone further ahead in added time, when a fine Ashton cross was headed just wide by Wright, but they looked to be in the comfort zone as they left the pitch at the break.

Woking had managed just one effort of note in the first half, a powerful twenty-five yard strike from Kevin Betsy which Mayebi palmed over, but they started the second half looking more threatening.

Loick Pires, unsighted six yards out, made a hash of a free header from a Gavin McCallum corner, then Brett Williams lashed the ball over from the edge of the box. It was the introduction of Bradley Bubb up front which gave a real cutting edge to The Cards though.

Soon after he came on he planted a powerful header just wide from a Mike Cestor cross, but two minutes later he scored in fortuitous circumstances. A long ball over the top led to a misunderstanding between Mark Creighton and Mayebi, andBubbnipped between them to roll the ball under the advancing goalkeeper.

In the 71st minute, came his golden opportunity to level the game: a ball over Chris Westwood sent substitute Guiseppe Sole down the right and his accurate cross picked out the unmarked Bubb six yards out. He met the ball with a meaty header, but Mayebi reacted superbly to parry the ball low down to his right.

The value of the save was further illustrated four minutes later as the game was put out of Woking's reach whenCreightonpowered onto a Declan Walker corner and sent a fearsome diving header into the net.

After that Wrexham looked likely to enjoy further success on the break with Woking leaving space as they continued to gamely push on.

Adrian Cieslewicz came off the bench to tear spectacularly through the Woking defence, but after rounding the keeper he hit the post from a tight angle and Wright thrashed the rebound wide from a yard out as Adam Newton hurled himself at him, and a determined charge into the box by Walker appeared to be halted when the ball hit Cestor's arm, but the referee waved play on.

A fourth goal would have been a cruel blow to Woking and their admirable fans, 192 of whom travelled across the country to witness The Cards' return to the Blue Square Bet Premier. The result was already beyond doubt: Wrexham had done enough to get their promotion challenge off to a winning start.

Referee: Peter Bankes (Liverpool)
Attendance: 4,088
Away: 192

Bookings -

    Latest Match Reports