Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 14 Aug 12 at 22:14 PM


We probably should have expected this result, as we can’t beat Macclesfield for love nor money and the home side had not won a league game since 31 December 2011!

A goal in each half, probably both against the run of play set us on the road to yet another defeat in this part of Cheshire.

As early as the fifth minute there was a free header for Westwood from 12 yards, as he got on the end of a Dean Keates free kick, but Lance Cronin saved well to his left.

At the other end Joslain Mayebi tipped away a long range effort from John Paul Kissock, scrambling to his right to collect the loose ball.

Then on 10 minutes the home side went in front in rather bizarre fashion. A Macc corner was knocked back into the six yard box, where Charlie Henry weakly stabbed it goal wards, Mayebi seemed to sit on the ball and as it ran free from under his body the striker prodded it home!

No surprise that Jay Harris picked up our first card of the season - hacking down Kissock after an attack broke down. It was a pointless caution as play was already stopped due to an injury back in the box! 

But then again it was Kissock who got himself sent off for Luton last season at the Racecourse – fouling one Jay Harris!

Neil Ashton made a great run down the left wing and into Macc box, but his pull back was behind three red shirts waiting in the middle.

Striker Danny Wright booked for dissent on 29 minutes, after his header was saved by the keeper and Keates poked home what he thought was a loose ball, but the referee said it was a foul, so no goal.

A Harris free kick pulled back for Ormerod air kicked from 15 yards, ball swung back in from left & Ogleby header a foot wide. Harris shot wide from 20 yards.

Creighton escaped a booking for felling Barnes-Homer on the halfway line as Macc broke away, the Silkman raced on and crossed for Sam Wedgbury who failed to hit the target with a easy effort.

In added time, Keates fires a low ball into the box and it defects away off two defenders.

Ht 1-0 Macclesfield 

Shortly after the restart, Wright wins the ball back wide out left, cuts into box, but fires well over from tight angle with bodies waiting in the middle.

Ogleby and Ormerod beat the offside trap to chase a through ball down the middle, but keeper Cronin out of his box to head away.

Ormerod was then twice involved in a minute, as first he prepared to fire at goal from 10 yards out following a Wright nod down, but a defender’s boot denied him. Then he raced back into the box with ex-Red Nat Brown, but lost out to the big man in a scramble.

On 68 minutes, Brown fouled Keates just outside the box, the Wrexham captain’s free kick was floated in and three red shirts beat offside and from six yards Wright headed over with Westwood better placed. 

The Silkmen grabbed a second on 76 minutes, when a powerful header slipped inside the near post from a right wing corner - substitute Arnaud Mendy getting the goal.

The Reds then changed their formation as boss Andy Morrell went on for Declan walker and we switched to 3-3-4.

It was all in vain though, as we slide to defeat which was hardly deserved.

Referee: Karl Evans (Wigan) 
Attendance: 2,368 
Away: 900+

Booked - 
Macclesfield: Murtagh (40, time wasting) 
Wrexham: Harris (25, foul), Wright (29, dissent) 

    Latest Match Reports