Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 25 Aug 12 at 22:30 PM


Wrexham had to settle for a share of the spoils after a frustrating afternoon at the Racecourse Ground.

On an afternoon when referee Darren Handley replaced a female official due to pregnancy all eyes were on him as the Dragons were denied a number of penalty claims.

In the opening exchanges set-pieces looked Wrexham’s most likely source of a breakthrough. Declan Walker almost scored directly from a corner but James McKeown did well to keep it out.  

On the half hour mark Adrian Cieslewicz" style="color: rgb(222, 41, 46);">Adrian Cieslewicz had the first penalty shout. Cutting in from the left he was sandwiched between two defenders but the referee waved away the protests.

Minutes later Brett Ormerod thought he had opened the scoring, tucking away an Andy Morrell cross but play was pulled back for an earlier foul on Cieslewicz.

The game continued to be fought out in the middle of the park and Derek Niven was lucky to only see yellow after a late challenge on Neil Ashton.

Chris Westwood had to be alert to thwart Niven after a quick corner from Joe Colbeck before Wrexham started to take control of the game.

Jay Harris did well to win a loose ball and Dean Keates played in Ormerod but his shot was charged down. Wrexham’s second penalty appeal was turned down when Cieslewicz’s shot was blocked by an arm and Ormerod hit the side netting in stoppage time.

Two minutes into the second-half Harris had a ferocious 20-yarder well held by McKeown and on 53 minutes Morrell was felled in the box by Shaun Pearson but a penalty was again not given.

Everyone in the ground thought Wrexham had taken the lead on the hour. Walker delivered a free-kick on a sixpence for Westwood but McKeown did wonderfully well to tip over from point-blank range.

Grimsby mustered a chance as Colbeck crossed from the right but Anthony Elding could only head straight at Mayebi before substitute Andy Cook failed to connect with another Colbeck centre.   

With ten minutes left Wrexham appealed again for a spot kick. Ormerod wriggled clear of two defenders and was hauled down as he entered the area. Mr Handley decided the offence occurred outside the area and Ashton’s shot was blocked from the resulting free-kick.

Wrexham piled on the pressure as the clock ran down but as Grimsby countered Harris got his marching orders, receiving a second yellow card for an innocuous challenge in the centre circle.

Referee: D Handley (Wigan)
Attendance: 3,127 
Away: 121 

Bookings - 
Wrexham: John Hunt (foul) 
Grimsby: Colbeck, Pearson, Niven (foul), Thomas 

    Latest Match Reports