Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 09 Feb 13 at 19:17 PM

Wrexham 3 Stockport County 1

Wrexham got back to winning ways on home soil with a hard-fought victory over struggling Stockport County as they cranked the pressure back on title rivals Grimsby Town.

Joe Clarke netted his fifth goal in six games after just eight minutes of a dominant first half showing by the hosts.

However, the Hatters were fired up in the second half and only a late show from Danny Wright (82) and substitute Rob Ogleby (88) allowed nerves to finally settle.

But that first clean sheet at home since September eluded Wrexham when Connor Jennings struck in added time.

The hosts forced two corners inside the first 90 seconds but only had a tame Jay Harris 30-yard effort to show for their early endeavour.

Chris Maxwell, who was given a warm reception on his return home, then got down low to keep out Danny Hattersley’s strike after Chris Westwood was robbed of possession by Mark Cullen.

Wrexham heeded that warning and broke the deadlock after eight minutes.

John Hunt gained yards down the left and picked out Clarke in space just inside the 18 yard box. The midfielder swept the ball first time with his left foot and arrowed the ball into the far corner of the net.

Both sides struggled to maintain possession on a disruptive surface before Danny Wright should have doubled Wrexham’s lead after 30 minutes, but he contrived to put a free header wide of the target.

The Hatters almost punished that miss but Maxwell was equal to Hattersley’s header at the far post.

Stockport started the second half brightly, playing with far more conviction and variety than their long ball preference of the first 45 minutes.

And their bolder approach almost paid off when Matty Mainwaring put Jon Nolan in space, but his low shot from 12 yards was well smothered by Maxwell.

Alex Kenyon and Hattersley had penalty appeals waved away and their frustrations increased when Cullen’s tap-in was disallowed because the on-loan Hull City man was offside.

Ciss replaced the injured Hunt with 22 minutes remaining as Wrexham desperately sought an attacking outlet where the ball would stick again.

Ogleby - a midweek scorer for Wales U21s - replaced Andy Morrell soon after but it was Danny Wright who wasted another golden chance to make it 2-0, scooping the ball over from 12 yards after dribbling past two defenders.

However, Wrexham’s target-man finally got his goal with eight minutes left.

Neil Ashton’s whipped corner was goal-bound, prompting Hatters keeper Richard O'Donnell to punch it clear. However, the ball only got as far as the lurking Wright and his rasping shot flew in with the aid of a slight deflection.

Ogleby wrapped up the victory six minutes later, his shot just about managing to slip past an exposed O'Donnell.

Connor Jennings headed in a consolation goal for the Hatters in added time to take a bit of the gloss off Wrexham’s first home win in three attempts.

Wrexham: Maxwell, S Wright, Westwood, Riley, Ashton; Harris, Keates, Clarke; Hunt (Cieslewicz 67), D Wright, Morrell (Ogleby 77).
Subs: Walker, Little, Rushton. 

Stockport County: O’Donnell, Halls, Fagbola, Tunnicliffe, Newton, Kenyon, Nolan, Mainwaring, Jennings, Hattersley (79), Cullen (
Whitehead 79).
Subs: Ormson, Conner, Meaney. 

Referee: Brett Huxtable (Devon) 
Attendance: 4,206 
Away: 621 

Bookings -
Stockport: Nolan, Kenyon 

    Latest Match Reports