Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 03 Jul 12 at 19:16 PM

Reds see off a stubborn Hyde FC side

It wasn’t pretty, it was anything but comfortable but Wrexham made it three consecutive victories after two late goals sunk hard-done-by Hyde.

Glen Little’s 78th minute penalty and a classy Jay Harris finish two minutes into added time spared Wrexham’s blushes after the side huffed and puffed for long spells.

It was a case of After the Lord Mayor’s Show for Wrexham who were well below-par only three days after the exhibition performance over Newport County.

A dire first half only got marginally better in the second half by virtue of frayed tempers, frustration and, for 30 minutes or so, a lost sense of urgency.

However, it is the result that matters and the Reds head to Cambridge United this weekend on the back of four shut-outs.

After a forgettable opening 20 minutes it was the Tigers who bared their teeth first. Skipper Scott Spencer dribbled his way past both Stephen Wright and Declan Walker before skewing his shot high over the bar from six yards.

Another long ball from deep, this time from the hosts, saw Brett Ormerod latch onto it 25 yards from goal but his attempted angled lob was clutched with ease by Hyde goalkeeper David Carnell.

Adrian Cieslewiczforced Carnell into a smart low save at his near post as Wrexham finally threatened to click into gear.

However, it was not until two minutes before the break that the Pole extended the Hyde custodian again with another daisy-cutter.

Danny Wright replaced Rob Ogleby ten minutes into the second half as manager Andy Morrell desperately sought to add a cutting edge to his side. The manager and Glen Little followed soon after but Hyde continued to pose a threat on the break.

Just when you sensed it was not going to be Wrexham’s day the substitutes combined to make the breakthrough. As Matthew Cassidy hesitated on the ball in the box Danny Wright nipped in behind to take the ball off him before inducing a clumsy tackle off the Hyde player.

The referee pointed to the spot and Little drove his shot low and hard into the bottom corner of the net.

Joslain Mayebi made two fairly comfortable saves as Hyde gambled with full-time looming. Carnell brilliantly denied Morrell with an outstretched leg before Harris finally made the game safe in added time, stroking home Danny Wright’s lay-off inside the box following Martin Riley’s cross.

To compound Hyde’s misery Liam Tomsett was then sent off for picking up two quick-fire yellow cards.

It was harsh on the visitors, who battled hard throughout, but the Reds showed they could find a way to win, even if it was ugly.

Wrexham: Mayebi, S Wright, Ashton, Riley, Cieslewicz (Morrell, 59), Harris, Ormerod (Little, 72), Keates (cpt), Ogleby (D Wright, 55), Hunt, Walker.
Subs: Coughlin (GK), Clarke.

Referee:Paul Rees (Avon)
Away: 67

Sending Off -
Hyde: Tomsett (sent off, two yellows)

Bookings -
Wrexham: S Wright, Walker, Harris, Mayebi, Little
Hyde: Brown


    Latest Match Reports