Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 12 Feb 13 at 22:17 PM

Hereford United 0 Wrexham 1

Wrexham laid a few Edgar Street ghosts to rest at with a gritty victory over stubborn Hereford that saw them go joint top of the Blue Square Bet Premier. 

The game was decided by Jay Harris’s 32nd minute deflected free-kick, which sent the Wrexham fans home very happy, in complete contrast to the despair that was felt when the club was relegated from the Football League on our last visit here in 2008. 

More importantly, it piled the pressure back on Grimsby Town - in top spot by virtue of a solitary goal - after their away match at Nuneaton was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch. 

Manager Andy Morrell made one change to the starting XI that defeated Stockport County 3-1 on Saturday, opting to bring Brett Ormerod back into the fold at the expense of himself. 

Danny Wright’s bustling run to the by-line was the first real test of the Bulls defence, which was on the back-foot for most of the opening 20 minutes. 

United’s few attacks were laboured at best until Stefan Stam’s powerful diving header was cleared off the line in the first real danger for Wrexham. 

But Morrell’s men kept passing the ball crisply and deservedly took the lead after 32 minutes. 

After Marley Watkins needlessly hacked down Dean Keates on the edge of the box the Reds skipper nudged the free-kick into the path of Harris and he let fly from all of 20 yards, a deflection on the strike wrong-footing Dan Hanford who could only watch as the ball flew into the centre of the net. 

Chris Maxwell was called into action to tip over Josh O’Keefe’s looping header before his opposite number Hanford clawed away Neil Ashton’s whipped corner that was travelling under the crossbar. 

Hereford started the second half well, showing a bit more bite in the tackle whilst some of their passes starting finding their destination more frequently. 

However, Wrexham always posed a danger going forward and Joe Clarke pulled a shot just wide as the visitors sought that all-important second goal. 

Chris Sharp then missed a sitter, heading into Maxwell’s arms from five yards after Watkins crossed the ball in deep from the right. 

Rob Ogleby replaced the tiring Brett Ormerod in the 64th minute as Wrexham struggled to get it to their attacker’s on an increasingly heavy pitch. 

Glen Little entered the fray soon after and the veteran midfielder’s first duty was to hack clear Ryan Bowman’s dangerous cross into the box. 

Little’s goal-bound curling shot was deflected away as Wrexham looked to put the result beyond doubt in a nervy final ten minutes. 

They held on to inflict a first defeat on United since Boxing Day whilst, crucially, bagging the points that saw it all square at the summit on 58 points. 

Wrexham (4-3-3): Mayebi; Ashton, Riley, Westwood, S.Wright; Clarke, Keates, Harris; Hunt (Little 77), D.Wright, Ormerod (Ogleby 64).
Subs: Walker, Thornton, Cieslewicz.

Referee: Richard Martin (Bristol) 
Attendance: 1,781 
Away: 479 

Bookings -
Wrexham: Westwood, Ashton

    Latest Match Reports