Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 08 Sep 12 at 21:49 PM


The Reds enjoyed their best ever victory at Cambridge United, while also inflicting Jez George's worst home defeat as the U's manager.

It was his opposite number Andy Morrell who did the damage, as he often does against Cambridge, with a goal in each half, as ex-United striker Danny Wright also helped himself  to a double - with Andy Bishop marooned in the stands, as his clearance has been held up by red tape for a few more days.

First chance for the Reds on five minutes as Morrell was waiting on a high bouncing ball and it was deflected wide left to Adrian Cieslewicz, whose first time effort was straight at ex-Halifax goalkeeper Jonathan Hedge.

A scrappy moment for Wrexham as on nine minutes after a chase from winger Adriano Moke saw him get in between both Declan Walker and Jay Harris, pushed a short pass to the near post where Tom Elliott fell under pressure from Stephen Wright, before the Reds could clear.

On 15 minutes, Cieslewicz broke on the left flank, drove into the box, but with three team mates in the middle tried a driven effort on the run that beat the back post and went out for a goal kick.

There was another effort by Wrexham mid way through the half, as a sweeping move saw the ball end up at the feet of Johnny Hunt and from 20 yards the midfielder's curling effort was tipped away for a corner.

In came the kick, Keates pushed it on for Cieslewicz to direct his header goalwards from 10 yards, but held by Hedge.

Then a couple of successive attacks saw a few half chances fall our way, although we can't force them home, winning a corner from the second. Then for the third successive corner the flag kick was played to Dean Keates standing on his own 18 yards in front of goal, but this time his rising shot was over the crossbar.

It was then United's turn to work a corner, the first effort was easily cleared but only as far as   on the right and his pull back dropped nicely for Ricky Wellard to fire a low shot through bodies from 20-yards. The Wrexham keeper dropped well to his left and held onto an effort he won't have seen until late.

The first booking went to Cambridge full back James Jennings for a pull back on Walker on the side of the home box.

That free kick was pulled back by Keates to Andy Morrell and his first time effort, through a tight gap, went into the net off the inside of the keeper's left hand post from about 15 yards.

Danny Wright square pass 25 yards out found Ciss and his powerful effort was just outside for the left hand post, with Hedge well beaten. On target and that was would have been our second.

Good use of his pace on the left saw Ciss out strip the right back, but his cross was cut out at the near post with Red shirts waiting to pounce on a dangers move.

Ht Cambridge United 0-1 Wrexham

Great work by Harris in midfield to win the ball back and then Morrell's work on the right to get into a position for a pass inside from the wing and find Danny Wright. He cut inside his man to bring the ball onto this left foot, he looked up and from 15 yards drilled a low shot across Hedge and inside the far post.

That effort on 47 minutes and his strike against Newport last Saturday, have rocketed the former Cambridge and Histon man to the top of the Wrexham goalscoring charts!

A third goal come on 57 minutes, as Walker did so well to win the ball back in midfield, found the gaffer who cut inside his man, the United defence stood off him and from 12-yards Andy Morrell had time to pick his spot.

The build up to that third was a long ball out left that Danny Wright took round the keeper, but was pushed well wide, his cross was into an empty penalty box that United collected. But for some reason they failed to clear their lines completely and 30-yards from goal Walker robbed Jennings to set up Morrell.

A Harris free kick on 60 minutes saw home captain Michael Wylde direct a back header round his keeper and only just wide of the left hand post

A first sub for Wrexham saw Mozza come off for Rob Ogleby on 63 minutes.

On 66 minutes, a lovely long ball by Keates saw Harris take the pass in his stride to the edge of the home box, but cover came across the Scouser was left with little option but to fire a shot, that spun away.

A Wrexham corner saw Riley get his header goalwards, it was though deflected off the shoulder for Sam Smith onto a post and back into the arms of a much relieved keeper.

The Dragons used a second substitute with 20 minutes remaining as Ciss was replaced by Brett Ormerod and shortly afterwards Glen Little made an appearance for Hunt.

United showed some late spirit and McAuley wasn't far away with a header at a corner that carried over Mayebi's cross bar.

The cleansheet was lost on 83 minutes, after Neil Ashton was booked for a foul near the left hand corner flag. It looked harsh at first viewing and the Reds were punished further from the free kick.

As the ball was delivered Josh Coulson nipped in front of Mayebi and headed home from close range.

Back up the other end and two minutes later Danny Wright enjoyed his return to the Abbey, firing in his second of the afternoon, finishing well from the right of the box and giving Hedge no chance. It was after some nice set up play by Ormerod.

Referee: J Hopkins (Essex)
Attendance: 2,304
Away: 274

Bookings -
Jennings (33, foul)
Wrexham: Ashton (83, foul)

    Latest Match Reports