Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 15 Sep 12 at 17:56 PM


It might have ended scoreless, but this was no boring encounter as both teams slugged it out for the upper hand at Kenilworth Road in a true top-of-the-table contest.

The home side had the edge in the first half, but really failed to make their possession count in front of goal, rarely troubling Joslain Mayebi in the Wrexham net.

After the break it was the visitors who won out, but despite forcing Mark Tyler into several top class saves, could not beat the Hatter's custodian when it mattered.

An early foray up front by Jay Harris saw the midfielder slip the ball through the middle for new boy Andy Bishop to pick it up 20-yards from goal, but his shot lacked the power to trouble keeper Tyler from distance.

Shortly afterwards the Wrexham wall did its job by deflecting a Luton free kick on four minutes, which signalled the start of a sustained period of pressure from the home side, just like they did in the play-off first-leg only four months ago.

There was a moment of concern when Mayebi had to race from his area, some 30 yards up field to beat the speedy Andre Gray to a long ball and clear it into touch.

Suddenly on 17 minutes two chances for the Greens!

The first was a swift break that saw Adrian Cieslewicz turn his marker on the edge of the box, but his chip was finger tipped by Tyler and defender Ronnie Henry as able to scramble back and hook the ball clear. Despite some half hearted claims that the ball has crossed the line.

Moments later the ball was once again delivered in from the right, Johnny Hunt got a foot to the cross, but it was off target and although it sat up for Cizz, the young Pole’s overhead effort was also wide of the mark.

On 20 minutes, Luton lost Wales U21 full back Jake Howells to an injury and replaced him with Lathaniel Rowe-Turner.

An early cross in from the speeding Ashton allowed Bishop to challenge Tyler just inside the penalty area, but in the end neither could control the ball and the home defence were happy to hack it clear.

Wrexham picked up a free kick on the corner of the home box with four minutes of the half remaining, but Harris’ effort hit the wall and Luton broke away, only for Fleetwood’s cross field ball to drift out of play with the Welsh defence very much stretched.

Ht 0-0

First real save for Mayebi saw him take Rendell’s header from a right wing cross, but even then the flag had gone up for offside. Although the keeper then did his best to get booked for time wasting at the restart, by stealing several yards.

Wrexham were quickly up field with Cizz playing the ball through for Andy Bishop on the edge of the area, he switch it square for Johnny Hunt. The midfielder swapped it onto his left foot, but pulled his shot across the face of the goal and wide.

From the corner the ball was worked back to Keates on the edge of the Luton box, but he was stretching to reach it and pulled his effort high. The skipper did though catch his studs in the grass and needed treatment - which raised some concern all round, but he was able to continue.

More pace by Cizz down the left wing, saw him lay a pass off for the overlapping Ashton, a low driven cross flashed in front of the Luton goal but no one was able to apply a finishing touch from close range.

There was a booking on the hour for Dean Keates, although he complained that he had been elbowed, despite making a rugby tackle on the Luton man.

There was another great cross in from Ashton, but Beckwith was able to get in between two Wrexham strikers and headed behind for a corner. Then Bishop tried a quick shot on the turn, but the effort was blocked.

A double substitution by Wrexham on 81 minutes saw with Brett Ormerod replace Cizz and Rob Ogleby on for Danny Wright.

The combination of good runs by both Harris and Ormerod won a corner for the Dragons but Luton cleared their lines from the flag kick.

On 87 minutes, the Luton defence was in disarray as Wrexham swarmed forward, but after Bishop had seen his shot blocked, Harris followed up with an effort that was inches wide from the edge of the box!

As we approached added time, a double save by Tyler saw him first push away Bishop’s shot and then when Keates collected the loose ball out wide and tried to cross into the danger zone, the keeper plucked the ball out of the air as Wrexham players waited free in front of an empty net.

It might have ended scoreless, but it was the travelling fans who were by far the happier at the final whistle.

Wrexham: Mayebi, Walker, S Wright, Riley, Ashton; Harris, Keates, Hunt; D Wright (Ogleby 81), Bishop, Cieslewicz (Ormerod 81).

Subs: Westwood, Little, Morrell.

Luton Town: Tyler, Howells (Rowe-Turner 20), Beckwith, Kovacs, Henry; O’Donnell, Lawless, Gray (Kasim 77), Fleetwood (Walker 60), Rendell, Shaw.

Subs: Robinson, Essam.

Referee: C Knowles (Northampton) 
Attendance: 6,675  
Away: 319

Booking - 
Keates (57, foul)

    Latest Match Reports