Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 09 Feb 13 at 15:17 PM

Dartford 2 Wrexham 1

After looking so promising the Reds then conceded two second half goals to surrender even the chance of a point.
Forced to stay a second night in Dartford after the previous evening’s downpour had left the Princes Park pitch waterlogged, Wrexham showed few ill effects as they controlled the opening 45 minutes of this hastily re-arranged game.
Roared on by over 100 travelling fans, the Dragons made light of the difficult playing surface with the influential Kevin Thornton at the heart of Wrexham’s best attacking moves
Having opted to keep the same side for the third game running, player-manager Andy Morrell would have been delighted by the form of new signing Dave Artell who repelled Dartford’s surprisingly direct approach given their excellent performance at the Racecourse earlier this season.
That said, it almost paid dividends for the home side on 23 minutes when Dean Keates had to head Jacob Erskine’s header off the line after Chris Maxwell had been seemingly impeded.
Within three minutes Wrexham scored with their first real attempt on goal when a delightful ball from Thornton allowed Danny Wright the time and space to rifle home Marcus Bettinelli.
That strike gave Wrexham the platform to push on and while we were comfortably in control, a second goal was not forthcoming. 
Joe Clarke's rising shot from 20 yards on 40 minutes one of the few efforts at goal by either side. 
The turning point in the game came with the introduction of substitute Jack Evans on 68 minutes, as it was he who collected a ball knocked down on the edge of the Wrexham box and fired a low shot under the exposed Maxwell.  
The Wrexham defence has been having a few wobbly moments, but this was the signal for the Darts to turn the screw even more. 
Maxwell did well to save from Bradbrook and then on 87 minutes the home side had the ball in the net again, but a flag for offside saved us on that occasion. 
The final nail in the coffin came two minutes in added time when a corner was swung over and Bradbrook beat everyone in the air to head home. 
Danny Wright had one last chance to salvage something, but fired across goal when coming in at angle.  

Wrexham: Maxwell; Ashton, Riley, Westwood, S Wright; Clarke, Keates, Thornton; D Wright, Ormerod.
Subs: Cieslewicz, Hunt, Ogleby, Little, Morrell.

Referee: Nick Kinseley (Essex)
Attendance: 815 
Away: 150ish

    Latest Match Reports