Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 16 Mar 13 at 16:57 PM

Wrexham 0 Luton Town 0

Wrexham’s next game against title rivals Mansfield Town took on greater significance following an entertaining goalless draw with pre-season title favourites Luton Town.

The underachieving Hatters are nowhere near the play-off mix this season but they could have a say as to where the title will go come April 20.

Wrexham bossed the majority of the first half and created the better chances throughout, but Luton defended doggedly and stopped the rot after a run of wretched results as they continue to regroup under new boss John Still.

Reds player-boss Andy Morrell made two changes from the side that defeated Lincoln City 2-1 in midweek.

Midfielder Jay Harris returned after serving a four-match ban whilst Martin Riley made a timely return from injury, with David Artell replacing him on the treatment table.

Johnny Hunt slotted in to the left-back berth vacated by the injured Neil Ashton, with the skipper’s armband going to Chris Westwood.

A fast-paced start to proceedings saw Luton go close first but Riley cut out Alex Wall’s centre across the box after he showed a clean pair of heels to Westwood.

From Dave Martin’s corner Steve McNulty’s glancing header was brilliantly hacked off the line by Hunt, who got a grateful pat on the head from a relieved Chris Maxwell.

Wrexham registered their first shot on goal in the 18th minute but Mark Tyler was equal to Danny Wright’s long range effort. It was the spark Wrexham needed.

Brett Ormerod’s shot was changed down in the box before Dele Adebola’s near-post shot was deflected out for a corner.

The on-loan striker’s goal-bound header from the set-piece was then cleared off the line by Jonathan Smith.

Wrexham stroked the ball about with confidence and it was a slick move which almost paid off after 35 minutes. Kevin Thornton’s low pass found Adebola in the box. He nudged the ball into the path of Ormerod but his shot from a tight angle was smothered by Tyler.

Lathaniel Rowe-Turner then headed Riley’s goal-bound header off the line as the Hatters lived dangerously.

The second half continued where the first left off - at full tilt. First Thornton’s shot from the edge of the box was blocked before Stephen Wright did the same to deny Martin at the other end after the Hatters broke quickly down the right.

Wright guided a header just over the bar as Wrexham continued to struggle to unlock Luton’s defence.

Tyler clutched Adebola’s tame shot after the excellent Joe Clarke had done all the hard work with a 25 yard run from deep, as both sides attempted to get to grips with an increasingly slick surface with the rain coming down hard.

Substitute Glen Little’s curled effort was beaten away by Luton’s desperate backline before Thornton blazed over from 15 yards.

Maxwell had to be alert to gather a Jake Howells effort before his opposite number Tyler tipped the ball over the bar to thwart Adebola as the game opened up.

With a minute of normal time to go Riley swept the ball home but the flag was already up for offside.

Maxwell denied Hatters substitute Dan Walker in the first of four minutes added time, but honours ended even as the Reds finally managed that first home clean sheet in the league since last September.

Wrexham:Maxwell; Hunt, Riley, Westwood, S Wright; Clarke (Cieslewicz, 79), Harris, Thornton; Adebola, D Wright, Ormerod (Little, 73).
Subs: Morrell, Ogleby, Walker.

Referee:Ross Joyce (Teeside)
Attendance: 3,907 
Away: 160 

Bookings -
Luton Town: Rendell, Mendy, Ainge

    Latest Match Reports