Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 06 Nov 12 at 14:00 PM

Southport 1 Wrexham 4

Wrexham plundered three goals in eight second half minutes to return to winning ways in the league.

With the scores level Simon Grand’s own goal (78) put the visitors ahead before late efforts from substitute Rob Ogleby (81) and Chris Westwood (86) sealed the points that keeps the pressure on the pace-setters.

Earlier Jay Harris’ long-range effort (56) had cancelled out Steven Tames’s 37th minute opener for the Sandgrounders as Wrexham bossed the second period after a dire first half display.

Boss Morrell reshuffled his starting XI following Saturday’s shock 4-2 FA Cup first round reversal to Alfreton Town.

In goal Andy Coughlin replaced Joslain Mayebi, whose appeal to overturn a three game ban was rejected by the FA, Joe Clarke came into the midfield whilst Nick Rushton was handed his first competitive Reds start. John Hunt and Adrian Cieslewicz dropped to the bench whilst Swansea City defender Danny Alfei is still waiting to start his second loan spell with the Reds after being struck down with a virus.

On a bobbly surface at Haig Avenue Coughlin smothered a deflected Steve Tames effort after just two minutes as the hosts signalled their intentions early.

The second choice Reds stopper was alert to Karl Ledsham’s cross-cum-shot before Joe Clarke’s sumptuous turn prised open the Sandgrounders defence, but he dragged his shot wide.

Clarke wasted another golden chance in the 29th minute. Morrell’s clever dummy drew the defence away from Clarke and with only Tony McMillan to beat the midfielder drove his shot straight at the home keeper.

Rushton had a close-range shot changed down as Wrexham started to build momentum but all their good work was undone eight minutes before the break.

Shaun Whalley’s weak cross from the right should have been easy pickings for Coughlin or a standard clearance from Ashton, however neither took responsibility and the ball bounced through to the back post for Tames to tap in the easiest goal of his career.

With perhaps some choice words from Morrell ringing in their ears Wrexham started the second half with purpose. Rushton’s chest down from Neil Ashton’s lofted free kick deserved a goal but his shot was smothered by McMillan.

Then came the flashpoint that swung the game in Wrexham’s favour. Poku, booked for a first half challenge, went in late on Ashton and promptly received his marching orders. From the resulting free-kick Dean Keates rolled the ball into the path of Harris, who let fly from 25 yards and watched as it flew into the centre of the goal with the aid of a deflection.

Rob Ogleby and Adrian Cieslewicz came on and both had an immediate impact. First Cieslewicz almost forced Chris Lynch into an own goal after cutting in a shot from the by-line. Then, after a short corner Keates’s ball into the box skimmed off Lynch’s head amid a sea of bodies and into the net.

Ogleby made the game safe with a composed far post close-range header before Westwood got his body to a Cieslewicz corner to convert the fourth and complete a somewhat flattering victory for the Reds.

Wrexham: Coughlin, S Wright, Ashton, Harris (Colbeck, 88), D Wright, Morrell (Ogleby, 66), Keates (cpt), Clarke, Rushton (Cieslewicz, 75), Westwood, Devine.

Subs: Riley, Hunt.

Referee: Seb Stockbridge

Attendance: 1,324
Away: 515

Sending off -
Southport: Poku

Bookings -
Southport: Poku
Wrexham: Harris

    Latest Match Reports