Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Mon 01 Apr 13 at 16:57 PM

Wrexham 0 Macclesfield Town 0

It looks increasingly likely Wrexham will contest the Play-Offs for the third consecutive season after failing to breakdown a stubborn Macclesfield side.

In front of a season’s best crowd at the Racecourse, Wrexham’s inability to register a goal for a third successive league match means they fell further behind pace-setters Kidderminster Harriers and Mansfield Town, the form of which is enviable.

Newport’s win at Nuneaton saw the Exiles leap-frog Wrexham into third, and although Andy Morrell’s men have an eight-point cushion over sixth-placed Forest Green Rovers the manager won’t be taking anything for granted after another disjointed performance.

In light of Saturday’s toothless defeat at Hyde Morrell rang the changes. He brought himself and Rob Ogleby into the starting XI at the expense of Brett Ormerod and Dele Adebola, whilst Joe Clarke was preferred to Kevin Thornton in midfield.

At a bitter but snow-free Racecourse - thanks to the 100-strong army of volunteers who cleared the white stuff on Friday - Wrexham started brightly and shifted the ball to Adrian Cieslewicz at every opportunity.

He won the team’s first corner and free kick but wasted the latter with an over-hit delivery.

The Silkmen hit back and Chris Maxwell did well to tip Enes Fermino’s shot around the post after Chris Westwood failed to clear.

Macc keeper Rhys Taylor then beat away Joe Clarke’s shot before watching Cieslewicz side-foot the rebound wide as the game started to open up. 

It was nip and tuck and niggly thereafter with chances at a premium. Thierry Audel’s looping header brought Maxwell into action after a spell of inactivity before Martin Riley headed wide at the near post on the stroke of half-time, which could not come quick enough such was the dour nature of proceedings. 

Amari Morgan-Smith almost punished Wrexham in the early exchanges of the second half. He pounced on Riley’s loose back-pass but Maxwell just did enough to force the ex-Luton player to fire his shot wide.

Wrexham responded in the 53rd minute. The ball was whipped in from the left and Morrell glanced a header against the underside of the bar. It bounced down and despite the player-manager’s appeals for  goal referee Anthony Backhouse and his assistants were not convinced. 

As was the case at Hyde Wrexham struggled to fashion any meaningful chances and Morrell soon started seeking fresh attacking impetus in Brett Ormerod, who replaced Rob Ogleby. 

The experienced striker almost got a toe on the end of a raking Jay Harris pass, but Silkmen keeper Taylor was off his line quickly to avert the danger.

Morrell made way for Dele Adebola with just over ten minutes left before Kevin Thornton entered the fray a minute later.

Maxwell got down low to deny Matthew Barnes-Homer as the Silkmen threw caution to the wind at the business end of the game.

Taylor thwarted Keates from close-range with his legs as Wrexham enjoyed a rare sight of goal by virtue of several deflections in the box.

However, it was not to be as Wrexham were held to their eighth league draw on home soil.

Wrexham: Maxwell; Wright, Westwood, Riley, Hunt; Keates (cpt), Harris, Clarke; Czepliewicz (Thornton, 80), Ogleby (Ormerod, 69), Morrell (Adebola, 78).
Subs: Little, Walker.

Referee: Anthony Backhouse
Attendance: 4,351
Away: 213

Bookings -
Wrexham: Hunt
Macclesfield: Wedgbury, Fermino, Braham-Barrett, Morgan-Smith

    Latest Match Reports