Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 13 Apr 13 at 16:57 PM

Wrexham 1 Kidderminster Harriers 2

Wrexham suffered their first home defeat in more than five months as Kidderminster deposed Mansfield Town at the top of the table with a crucial win that could see the title race go down to the wire.

James Vincent (19) and Michael Gash (71) scored either side of Danny Wright’s 62nd minute leveller and were pushed all the way by a youthful, patched-up Reds side.

Decimated by injuries to several key players, Wrexham were left further threadbare when Nick Rushton was forced off injured after just 12 minutes of this televised clash. He was replaced by 17-year-old Bradley Reid. 

Harriers, playing with plenty of purpose and buoyed by title rivals Mansfield Town’s defeat at Braintree earlier in the day, took a 19th minute lead.

After David Artell fouled Vincent on the edge of the box the free-kick was rolled into the path of Anthony Malbon. His shot hit the wall and bounced into the path of Vincent and his first time shot along the ground from 20 yards squeezed past Chris Maxwell into the bottom corner of the net. 

A deflected goal-bound Declan Walker free-kick was as good as it got for Wrexham for 20 minutes thereafter. 

Harriers goalkeeper Danny Lewis, a virtual spectator all half, shepherded a Rob Evans drive around the post after the youngster combined neatly with Wright.

In stoppage time Michael Gash went close to doubling Kidderminster’s lead but could only flash his near-post shot inches wide. 

Lewis was forced into his first save eight minutes into the restart. Dele Adebola back-pedalled into his marker on the edge of the box before nudging the ball into the path of the onrushing Danny Wright. He took one touch before Lewis saved his low shot with his legs at the near post.

A quickly-taken short corner saw Johnny Hunt whip in a superb cross but Neil Ashton directed a free header away from Lewis’s left post. 

Whatever was said in the home dressing room at the break certainly had the desired effect as Wrexham deservedly restored parity just after the hour. 

After the Harriers defence charged down an Evans shot the ball sat up nicely for Wright, who crashed an unstoppable volley past Lewis from 15 yards.

That prompted a good spell of Wrexham pressure but it all came unstuck when Harriers regained the lead less than 10 minutes later.

The home defence stood still as Gash raced onto Mickey Demetriou’s through-ball before the striker confidently lobbed a stranded Maxwell from 30 yards. 

Wright then headed into the arms of Lewis before manager Morrell rang the changes, throwing on Jay Colbeck and Brett Ormerod.

However, they made little difference as Harriers continued to defend in numbers

Kidderminster substitute Callum Gittings should have made it 1-3 in added time but he smashed the ball hopelessly wide with just Maxwell to beat. 

Wrexham: Maxwell; Ashton (cpt), Clowes, Artell, Walker; Hunt (Colbeck 76), Clarke, Evans; D Wright, Adebola (Ormerod 77), Rushton (Reid 12).
Subs: S Wright, Ormerod. 

Referee: Graham Horwood (Beds)
Attendance: 4,013 
Away: 604

    Latest Match Reports