Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 08 Dec 12 at 19:16 PM

Wrexham 6 Nuneaton Town 1

Wrexham cruised to their biggest league win of the season with a scintillating performance against struggling Nuneaton.

Goals from Johnny Hunt (20), Andy Morrell (31) and Neil Ashton (45) give Wrexham a commanding half-time lead, before substitutes Rob Ogleby (73) and Adrian Cieslewicz">Adrian Cieslewicz (82) struck to wrapped up the result, then Ashton’s (45+3) injury-time penalty topped of Wrexham the handsome win their display warranted.

Dominant for almost the entire game, the Reds played with verve, confidence and fluidity.

Not even Andrew Brown’s consolation goal for Nuneaton - struck just prior to Wrexham’s sixth goal - failed to take the gloss off an impressive victory.

And it could not have come at a better time for Morrell’s title-chasers: the next league clash is at leaders Grimsby Town on Friday, December 21.

Morrell brought himself back into the starting XI along with Danny Devine, replacing injured duo Danny Wright and Martin Riley. Hunt was brought into midfield at the expense of Joe Clarke.

The visitors fired an early warning shot when Neil Cartwright’s fizzing volley forced Joslain Mayebi into a fine save at his near post after just eight minutes. 

Wrexham huffed and puffed their way into the game for the ten minutes before a wonderful three-man move unlocked the Nuneaton defence - and then the floodgates. 

Jay Harris fed the ball to Brett Ormerod who, whilst backing up his marker produced a deft flick with the outside of his boot which set Hunt away in space inside the 18 yard box,

The midfielder composed himself, took two touches and buried a low shot past Adam Smith into the bottom corner of the net.

The goal sparked Wrexham into life. First Nick Rushton should have done better from five yards after the ball was put on a plate for him by Ormerod before more impressive hold-up play saw Neil Ashton blaze over from an acute angle.

The second goal was always on the cards and it arrived after 31 minutes. Ashton’s flicked header from a Dean Keates corner caused panic in the Nuneaton defence. They failed to clear and the ball fell kindly for Morrell to bundle it in from close range.

Nuneaton’s Dan Newton fired a volley just wide of the target as the visitors sought an instant response before Rushton and Ormerod wasted decent chances.

However, Wrexham went further ahead on the stroke of half time. Keates whipped his corner straight onto the angled run of Ashton and the defender powered his header past Smith.

Twelve minutes into the second half Jay Harris headed just over the bar before Newton wasted a glorious chance for Nuneaton, blazing over from close range after Chris Westwood was beaten.

Westwood, Morrell and Rushton made way as the player-boss brought on fresh legs with 20 minutes remaining.

And one of those substitutes, Ogleby wasted no time getting in on the act, side-footing the ball past Smith after racing onto the end of Harris’ slide-rule pass just four minutes after coming on.

Another replacement, Cieslewicz, made it five with a rasping drive from 25 yards that gave Smith no chance.

The only disappointing aspect was Wrexham failing to keep a clean sheet - Brown struck at the death to leave Wrexham still seeking a clean sheet in the league since the 3-0 home defeat over Barrow on September 25.

However, in added time Adam Walker fouled Keates in the box and Ashton restored Wrexham’s five goal cushion with a confidently-taken penalty.

Wrexham: Mayebi; Alfei, Divine, Westwood (Walker, 69), Ashton; Harris, Hunt, Keates (cpt); Rushton (Cieslewicz, 69), Morrell (Ogleby, 69), Ormerod.
Subs: Clarke, Colbeck.

Booked - 

Referee: Adam Bromley 
Attendance: 2,739 
Away: 96

    Latest Match Reports