Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sun 31 Mar 13 at 03:17 AM

Hyde 2 Wrexham 0

After the FA Trophy victory at Wembley it was a case of one cup final down, eight to go, but at Ewen Fields the Dragons didn’t breathe the fire in the same way as they did under the arch.

On an afternoon that saw two disallowed goals and a missed penalty, it could have been one step closer to promotion back to the Football League but it just wasn’t to be. 

Morrell dropped himself from the previous Sunday’s starting line-up and after Danny Wright pulled out of training with a neck injury, both Dele Adebola and Adrian Cieslewicz were given the nod to start alongside Brett Ormerod in attack.

It was the pace of Cieslewicz that created the Dragons’ first chance on eleven minutes. After skipping over Adam Griffin’s challenge inside the area his cut back was sent goal-wards by Stephen Wright but straight into David Carnell’s arms off the face of Ormerod.

Ormerod did have the ball in the back of the net on 20 minutes. Kevin Thornton won a touchline battle and Dean Keates played a glorious chipped pass over to Ormerod who found the side netting with an exquisite volley but the assistant referee’s flag was already up. 

Next it was Cieslewicz’s turn to be pulled up by a tight offside call. Ormerod picked out Adebola on the edge of the box who cushioned a lovely header into Cieslewicz’s path and as he calmly rolled the ball home the assistant intervened once more. 

The home side took the lead against the run of play on the half hour. Wright had a rare moment of hesitation at right-back allowing Louis Almond to get away and when Matty Blinkhorn held off Martin Riley, Scott Hogan struck past Chris Maxwell. 

Wrexham produced a great move just before the break. There was sublime link-up play between Keates, Adebola and Cieslewicz but Adebola himself somehow failed to connect with Ormerod‘s centre.

Almond proved a threat in the opening exchanges of the second period for Hyde, forcing Maxwell to parry a 20-yard drive and dancing his way into the box where he could have gone down under a challenge from Keates.

On the hour Morrell brought on Glen Little and Joe Clarke for Keates and Thornton. Little immediately won a corner that Adebola headed tamely at Carnell and Clarke fired a half chance well over with his left foot after being put in by Ormerod. 

The Tigers then had a guilt-edged chance to wrap the three points up. Hogan put right-back Josh Brizell in the clear but after beating Maxwell he saw his effort come back off the near post.

The Dragons roared back as Hunt and Harris both forced Carnell into acrobatic stops while Wright should have at least hit the target from Little’s corner.

It was another Little corner that led to a great chance to equalise on 70 minutes. Riley’s header was adjudged to have been handled but Carnell guessed right to keep out Hunt’s spot kick. 

Wrexham kept plugging away, with Little at the heart of everything, but their frustrations were summed up as Clarke under-hit a cross and Jay Harris received a yellow card for scything down Liam Tomsett as he looked to break away.

Another chance followed when Little pumped an angled ball into the box but both Ogleby and Ormerod were unable to get enough on it and man-of-the-match Carnell smothered yet again.

The Dragons threw the proverbial kitchen sink at their opponents in the last few minutes but when a ball dropped kindly to Adebola six yards out his blocked shot typified Wrexham’s afternoon before. 

With the game entering stoppage time, Shay McCartan’s 20-yard drive put the result well beyond doubt.

Hyde (4-4-1-1): Carnell; Brizell, Ashworth, Dennis, Griffin; Hogan (McCartan 79), Brown (Moses 35), Tomsett, Almond (Jevons 83); Milligan; Blinkhorn. 
Subs: Poole, Williams.   

Wrexham ( 4-3-3): Maxwell; Wright, Westwood, Riley, Hunt; Keates (Little 58), Harris, Thornton (Clarke 58); Cieslewicz (Ogleby 67), Adebola, Ormerod. 
Subs: Walker, Morrell. 

Referee: Sebastian Stocksbridge (Tyneside)
Attendance: 1,846  
Away: 1,124  

Bookings -
Wrexham: Harris (82, foul)  

    Latest Match Reports