Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 20 Nov 12 at 21:44 PM

Braintree Town 1 Wrexham 5

WREXHAM’S starting strikers as well as a substitute frontman all scored as they put the Reds joint top of the Conference with a 5-1 win at Braintree Town last night.

It was a comfortable win at The Amlin Stadium with the result never really in any doubt as Wrexham climbed up to second position in the standings, level on points with leaders Grimsby Town who they have a game in hand on.

One more goal would have put Wrexham top but who can complain about five goals on your travels?

This was a professional performance and Wrexham deserved victory for taking the game to the hosts to pass what was always to be a tricky test.

There were fears the game might suffer the same fate as the original fixture which was postponed on October 27 because of a waterlogged pitch but the rain which fell never put it in any doubt in the end.

And though it was hardly in perfect condition, the pitch held up well in the end and so did Wrexham.

Leading scorer Danny Wright gave Wrexham an early lead as he struck for the sixth time this season and it was 2-0 in the 15th minute when Brett Ormerod grabbed his second goal for the Reds.

Braintree unexpectedly reduced the deficit almost immediately but after Wrexham overcame a brief wobble they restored the two-goal cushion just before the interval, Nick Rushton scoring for the second game in a row as he became the third striker to score.

Despite trailing, Braintree made a fight of it after the break but they came up against a stubborn Wrexham back-line who were in no mood to let the hosts back into the contest.

And Wright made it 4-1 after 65 minutes with his seventh strike of the campaign to put the game beyond Braintree.

Substitute Adrian Cieslewicz also got in on the act and scored a fifth goal to make it a successful evening for the clinical strikers but more importantly, for Wrexham.

Morrell made two changes from the side that drew 1-1 against Gateshead on Saturday.

Goalkeeper Joslain Mayebi, available again after completing a three-match ban, was recalled in place of Andy Coughlin.

Skipper Dean Keates was serving a one-game suspension after picking up a fifth yellow card at the weekend, meaning it was the first game he hasn't started this season, so Johnny Hunt took over in the Reds' midfield.

Both sides cancelled each other out in the opening exchanges with the game not really settling down, but Wrexham took the lead in the ninth minute with the first effort of the encounter.

Neil Ashton - captain for the night in the absence of Keates - fed Wright who was allowed to turn and make room for a shot before finding the bottom corner of the net with a low 20-yard drive.

Wrexham continued to press and a penalty appeal was turned down after claiming a defender had handled Hunt's free-kick, but the Reds made it 2-0 on 15 minutes.

Joe Clarke's fantastic throughball was laid off by Rushton to Ormerod who charged into the area past a defender and rifled a powerful left-foot shot past keeper Danny Naisbitt who was given no chance.

But Braintree pulled a goal back just three minutes later.

Declan Hunt attempted to get on the end of a Luke Daley cross that Mayebi was unable to gather and the ball looped up in the six yard box with Kaine Sheppard converting from close range.

Wrexham re-grouped and went straight back at Braintree without creating anything of note despite getting into some promising positions, but Dan Holman fired wide at the other end for Braintree who began to come more into it.

And Braintree had an excellent opportunity to equalise after Mayebi rushed off his line to gather a hopeful punt forward but the ball dropped for Holman whose effort cleared an empty goal.

However, Wrexham, who had been quick to win the ball back when they lost possession, got the next goal after 39 minutes.

Wright played the ball into Rushton who beat Alan Massey and curled the ball beyond Naisbitt.

With Wrexham making a strong finish to the half, Wright was thwarted by Naisbitt but the first chance after the interval fell to Sheppard at the other end as he headed wide from a corner.

Braintree were enjoying a bright spell without threatening a goal as they were kept at bay by resolute defending from Wrexham, and it was the Reds who made it 4-1 on 65 minutes.

Ormerod won possession in the area and after drawing Naisbitt, he squared the ball to Wright who fired into the net from 10 yards.

And Wrexham made it 5-1 in the 79th minute. Rob Ogleby was put through on goal and although he was denied by Naisbitt, fellow substitute Cieslewicz put away the loose ball to complete the scoring.

Richard Williams - Wrexham Leader

    Latest Match Reports