Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 12 Feb 13 at 21:49 PM

Lincoln City 1 Wrexham 2

It took second half goals from Brett Ormerod and Dele Adebola fire the Dragons to another away win. 

This coming after centre half Chris Westwood had unfortunately put through his own net following a Lincoln corner after half an hour. 

By that stage City had been unfortunate to see winger Jamie Taylor’s cross shot come back off a post and when the rebound fell to the same player, he fired in a cross, but striker Craig Hobson was unable to get the final touch with the goal gaping.

Danny Wright had to settle for a corner when he burst into the box on 13 minutes and keeper Paul Farman was happy to block the ball behind.

The striker then sent in an inviting cross that skimmed off the head of partner Dele Adebola, with Joe Clarke getting a touch at the back post, but unable to steer the ball home.

Alan Power beat the Wrexham offside trap on 24 minutes, but with Maxwell racing from his line, could only see his effort drift passed the far post.

The home side took the lead on 31 minutes, when Power’s corer was flicked on at the front post by Tony Diange. The ball carried to the back and Westwood stuck out a foot to try to clear the danger, but could only divert it past his own keeper from six-yards out!

Wrexham stepped up the pressure in the closing stages of the half as the searched for an equaliser and Kevin Thornton was left wondering what might have been had his fierce effort from distance not been defected behind for a corner by centre half Scott Garner.

Into added time and Thornton’s left footed free kick from 26-yards forced a diving save from Farman, who was at full stretch going to his right.

Ht 1-0

There were two enforced changes at the break as both David Artell (heel) and Neil Ashton (ankle) were replaced by Declan Walker and Glen Little. 

This saw Johnny Hunt drop to left back and Walker go to right back, with Stephen Wright taking over in central defence and Little coming into midfield. 

City were first to threaten, but they couldn't get a head on a dangerous cross and then Ormerod saw a shot go over the crossbar when well placed. 

Minutes later Danny Wright fired an effort across the face of the home goal and then on a quick breakaway, Power shot over from the edge of the Wrexham box. 

The leveller arrived on the hour mark, as Wrexham pushed forward an Clarke misfired from 18 yards, but his effort fell kindly for Ormerod to hammer home from 12 yards. 

This lifted the Welshmen to keep the pressure on the home defence and they cracked again on 66 minutes. 

Keeper Farman saw one poor clearance returned to him and from the side of his box, he failed to get the ball away, as it went straight to Adebola, who from fully 35 yards immediately knocked it goalwards. 

With the Lincoln stopper desperately scrambling back between the posts the ball spun away from him and nestled inside the opposite upright to send the travelling fans wild with delight. 

There were other efforts that could have extended our lead, Little cutting in from the right and seeing his curling effort miss by inches. Then Wright forcing a fine save out for Farman, before Ormerod cracked the rebound against the woodwork from a very tight angle. 

As Lincoln through caution to the wind in the final moments, Taylor was once again unlucky to see an effort fail to find the net, when he headed over from eight yards. 

Four minutes of added time were played out and the final whistle greeted with much enthusiasm by payers and fans alike. 

Lincoln City (4-4-1-1): Farman; Miller, Boyce, Garner (Gray 72), Diagne; Taylor, Jordan, Fofana, Jones (Smith 56); Power, Hobson (Dali 64).
Subs: Sheridan, Preece.

Wrexham (4-3-3): Maxwell; S Wright, Artell (Walker 46), Westwood, Ashton (Little 46); Clarke, Thornton, Hunt; D Wright, Adebola, Ormerod.
Subs: Cieslewicz, Morrell, Ogleby.

Referee: Wayne Barrett (West Mids)
Attendance: 1,379
Away: 113

Bookings -
Lincoln: Power (36, not retreating), Diagne (44, foul)
Wrexham: Thornton (35, ungentlemanly), Little (56, foul), Ormerod (84, dissent), S Wright (90, foul) 

    Latest Match Reports