Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 16 Apr 13 at 21:55 PM

Wrexham 1 Braintree Town 1

Wrexham will be without Danny Wright for the Blue Square Bet Premier play-offs after he dislocated his left elbow in a dour game in Wrexham’s penultimate regular season encounter.

The striker was carried off in the ninth minute after suffering the painful injury - a repeat of the one which forced him out of last year’s FA Cup third round replay against Brighton & Hove Albion.

Wrexham led through player-boss Andy Morrell’s sublime third minute chip before Wright’s injury disrupted play. Ben Wright, who had gone close just minutes after Morrell netted, levelled after 19 minutes before Jay Harris was forced off for treatment to a head wound.

Wrexham fashioned several second-half chances to win the game but had to settle for their ninth home league draw of the campaign.

With some of his many walking wounded declaring themselves fit for action Morrell made several changes to the side defeated 2-0 by Kidderminster three days earlier.

Out went Declan Walker, Jay Colbeck, Dele Adebola (all relegated to the bench) and Joe Clarke. In came Harris and Stephen Wright to add some bite and stability to the midfield and defence respectively, whilst Morrell and Brett Ormerod bolstered the attack.

The Essex side enjoyed an impressive start, forcing three corners in two minutes. However, Wrexham took the lead a minute later. Dean Wells stumbled on the ball on the edge of the box, allowing Morrell to pick up the loose ball. He took one look up and chipped Nathan McDonald with a deft finish.

The Iron hit back and could have been level inside two minutes had Ben Wright not curled his shot against the post from 15 yards. 

Danny Wright was then stretchered off to warm applause by the concerned home crowd after???

His namesake Ben put sympathy aside, though to sweep Braintree level in the 18th minute. Alex Woodyard’s hopeful low cross somehow by-passed Wrexham’s slumbering defence and the Forest Green-loanee despatched a fine volley low past Chris Maxwell into the corner of the net. 

The sight of Jay Harris leaving the pitch clutching his face saw more exasperated looks on the faces of Wrexham fans. After an uneventful 13 minutes the recalled midfielder returned to the field sporting a white bandage strapped tightly around his head. 

On the stroke of half-time Ormerod wasted a glorious chance to restore  Wrexham’s lead, powering a header over from close-range after the ball was directed across goal by stand-in skipper Neil Ashton.

Wrexham fashioned two great chances early in the second half with Ormerod at the heart of them. First he played a defence-splitting pass into the path of Reid and his low goal-bound shot was hacked off the line by Sam Habergham. 

Iron keeper McDonald then produced a wonderful reflex save to deny Morrell with a volley after Ormerod picked out his fellow striker at the near post.

Morrell saw two more changes go begging in quick succession, the first a flashing header across goal from Rob Evans’s corner before his low drive from eight yards curled the wrong side of the post. 

McDonald watched is relief as Johnny Hunt side-footed wide in acres of space after taking on Reid’s centre first time and Wrexham struggled to find gaps thereafter as the game fizzled out.

Wrexham: Maxwell; Ashton (cpt), Clowes, Artell, S Wright; Hunt, Harris, Evans; D Wright (Reid 9), Ormerod, Morrell (Adebola 88).
Subs: S Ogleby, Walker, Colbeck.

Referee: Richard Martin
Attendance: 2,312
Away: 8

Bookings -
Braintree: Woodyard, Symons

    Latest Match Reports