Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Thu 04 Apr 13 at 21:51 PM

Wrexham 2 Mansfield Town 1

Super-sub Glen Little climbed off the bench to help Wrexham secure a must-win victory over title rivals Mansfield Town.

In a pulsating clash Matt Green‘s (53) 20th goal of the season gave the Stags the advantage as they seeked a Conference record-breaking 13th straight league victory.

However, Reds skipper Dean Keates levelled with a 68th minute free-kick before Danny Wright (78) side-footed home the winner after collecting a pass from the evergreen Little, who had been on the pitch less than a minute.

In a manic finale in front of the biggest Racecourse gate of the season Wright was denied his second by the woodwork before Keates skied a shot into the kop at the end of a scything Wrexham counter-attack.

It was no more than Wrexham deserved and they now head to Woking just seven points shy of second-placed Stags and eight of leaders Kidderminster, who have played two games more.

Morrell made two attacking changes from the side that failed to hit the net against Macclesfield.

He made way for Brett Ormerod whilst the fit-again Danny Wright replaced Rob Ogleby alongside Adrian Cieslewicz">Adrian Cieslewicz in the offensive triumvirate.

After a fast-paced start Wrexham suffered an early blow when Chris Westwood - who had headed everything clear - came off injured after just 22 minutes, to be replaced by Declan Walker. 

Just over five minutes later and Wrexham registered their first shot on goal. Johnny Hunt’s ball from the left was chested into the path of Joe Clarke by Danny Wright but the midfielder’s pile-driver rose wide of Alan Marriott’s left post. 

Maxwell was then off his line quick to snatch the ball off the feet of Colin Daniel after the Stags striker sprung the offside trap with three Reds defenders desperately trying to make up ground.

Five minutes before half-time the on-loan Wrexham goalkeeper showed brilliant awareness and agility to palm swat away Greg Taylor’s cross, the curl on the ball taking it towards the top corner before Maxwell’s intervention. 

Whilst Wrexham finished the half strongly it was the visitors who turned the screw at the start of the second half, peppering Maxwell’s goal with shots. 

They had a headed effort disallowed for offside but Mansfield patience and pressure was soon rewarded in the 53rd minute. Luke Jones’s bullet header from a corner was brilliantly saved by Maxwell but the prolific Green stabbed in the rebound from close range as Wrexham‘s defence froze.

And whilst Maxwell showed cat-like agility the same could not be said for his opposite number Marriott, who gift-wrapped Wrexham’s equaliser.

Keates’ free-kick from 30 yards took a slight-deflection which wrong-footed Marriott. However, the keeper managed to get his body behind the ball before allowing it to spill from his grasp and over the line. 

It then went from the calamitous to class as Maxwell excelled yet again, beating away Adam Chapman’s fierce free-kick. 

Then came an inspired substitution by Morrell. Little replaced Cieslewicz and it took him less than a minute to provide a beautifully-weighted pass into Wright from the edge of the box. The striker looked up and slotted the ball into the corner with unnerving ease.

A few minutes later Wright almost bagged his second. With Mansfield’s defence in disarray Keates picked out Wright in the box and his first-time curling shot crashed off the underside of the bar. Despite the ball appearing to cross the line referee Darren Handley was not interested.

Keates should have made it 3-1 in injury time as Wrexham stormed forward in numbers on the break, however the captain smashed his ball wide.

Wrexham:Maxwell; Wright, Westwood (Walker, 22), Riley, Hunt; Keates (cpt), Harris, Clarke; Cieslewicz (Little,77), Ormerod (Adebola, 66), D Wright.
Subs: Thornton, Rushton.

Referee:Darren Handley
Attendance: 4,378 
Away: 2

Bookings -
Wrexham: Riley
Mansfield: Meikle, Beevers, Dempster

    Latest Match Reports