Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sun 28 Apr 13 at 15:44 PM

Kidderminster Harriers 1 Wrexham 3

The Reds progressed to the Play-Off Final, after successive failures in the semi-finals, thanks to a hard working performance at Aggborough – along with goals from Brett Ormerod, Joe Clarke and Neil Ashton.

On five minutes, Dean Keates took a free kick from 30-yards, but the home goalkeeper batted down his effort and gathered.

Keates then hit a long ball over the top, Johnny Hunt was onside, but the bounce beat him, as the keeper off his line to collect.

A cute free kick by Kiddy on the right saw Vaughan cross from the right and Malbon’s flick header came back off the back post. As the ball ran free Gowling fired it high over the bar, but the referee seemed to spot a deflection for a corner.

Arguing the point was David Artell, who picked up a yellow card for his troubles.

A turning point in the tie came on 29 minutes when Maxi collected a high cross in his own box, bowled the ball straight out to Harris and his pass set Brett Ormerod away on the right. The former Blackpool man took the ball forward some 40 yards before firing under the advancing Danny Lewis to open the scoring.

Joe Clarke then breaks away but Josh Gowling does well to hold him up and take the ball away, as the midfielder was looking for some support.

Ht 1-0 Wrexham

Three minutes after the restart a Hunt free kick was swung into Kidderminster box, in came Artell but the ball skimmed off his head and carried beyond far post.

On 56 minutes, a ball in the box skipped away from the green shirts, bit a combination of Maxi and Riles somehow cleared it down field.

A Kyle Storer free kick – was met by Chey Dunkley’s header and although blocked by Maxi, Dunkley fired home the rebound.

Wrexham fought back to take the lead on 68 minutes from a very unusual effort following a free kick given for a foul on Morrell. Wide out left Joe Clarke hit a low effort into the near post and no one reacted, allowing the ball to bounce into the back of the net.

With Kiddy having to push forward, the Dragons took advantage and as Ciss raced into the box Gowling clipped him and the referee had an easy decision to make.

Up stepped Neil Ashton to send Lewis the wrong way from 12 yards and send the travelling fans crazy.

Kidderminster: Daniel Lewis, Lee Vaughan, Josh Gowling, Cheyenne Dunkley, Mike Williams (Callum Gittins 79), Kyle Storer, Martin Devaney, Danny Jackman, Danny Pilkington (Marvin Johnson 62), Michael Gash (Ryan Rowe 69), Anthony Malbon. 
Subs: Nathan Vaughan, Keith Briggs. 

Wrexham: Chris Maxwell, Stephen Wright, Martin Riley, David Artell, Neil Ashton; Jay Harris, Dean Keates (Glen Little 86), Joe Clarke; Brett Ormerod (Adrian Cieslewicz">Adrian Cieslewicz 61), Andy Morrell (Dele Adebola 69), Johnny Hunt. 
Subs: Andy Coughlin, Leon Clowes. 

Referee: S Stockbridge (Tyne & Wear)
Attendance: 6,202 
Away: 1,650 

Bookings -
Kidderminster: Storer (foul), Williams (foul), Deavney (foul)
 Artell (12, dissent), Ashton (28, foul), Ormerod

    Latest Match Reports