Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 13 Aug 13 at 23:04 PM

Shaymen have sign over Reds...

Wrexham will rue bad decision-making and bad luck as they lost a five-goal thriller in Yorkshire.

Andy Morrell’s men squandered the lead given to them via a Simon Ainge own goal (22), conceding three times in 12 minutes of madness before half-time.

Lois Maynard (34) headed in the leveller from close range before Josh Wilson (40) put them ahead from the penalty spot after Stephen Wright was sent off for fouling Shaymen skipper Lee Gregory.

Gregory then rubbed salt into Wrexham wounds in the first minute of stoppage time with an easy finish after more haphazard Reds defending.

Wrexham improved enormously in the second half and Adrian Cieslewicz reduced the gap with ten minutes left. However, the equaliser failed to materialise, which would have been just reward for a sterling effort.

Morrell made two changes to the side which prevailed 2-1 in Saturday’s opening day win over Welling United.

Match-winner Rob Ogleby replaced Bradley Reid whilst Johnny Hunt came in for the absent Mark Creighton.

That prompted a reshuffle in defence with captain Neil Ashton moving into the middle with Hunt filling in at left-back.

Halifax, smarting from Saturday’s 5-1 defeat at Cambridge United began well and could have been ahead as early as the third minute but only for a poor touch at the near post by Gregory.

Matty Pearson then dragged a shot wide from 20 yards after shrugging off the attentions of Jay Harris on halfway.

Wrexham fashioned their first chance after 18 minutes. Andy Bishop headed down a high punt on the edge of the box into the path of Adrian Cieslewicz. The winger slid the ball into Kevin Thornton who beat his marker with a deft touch before pulling his shot wide from eight yards.

Four minutes later and the visitors were ahead. After Ogleby and Bishop saw shots blocked Cieslewicz found himself in space on the right. He glided into the box and his driven, low shot was turned into his own net by Ainge at the near post.

A flurry of bookings followed in quick succession as tempers frayed with Bishop and Harris guilty for the visitors.

After Thornton fouled 30 yards from goal it laid the foundation for the Shaymen’s equaliser. Josh Wilson’s sublime free-kick beat Mayebi at full-stretch and crashed against the underside of the bar. Maynard reacted quickest and headed in.

It got worse for Wrexham shortly before the break. Stephen Wright brought down Gregory in the box and busy referee Peter Bankes issued him with a straight red card. Wilson stepped up and converted the penalty low under Mayebi.

In added time the visitors were given a mountain to climb when Gregory bundled the ball in from close range after Mayebi failed to gather his initial header.

Wrexham should have reduced the deficit minutes into the second half but three red shirts failed to get a touch on Hunt’s teasing cross across the face of goal.

Kevin Holsgrove blazed over at the other end after Tomassen and Leon Clowes got tangled up before Wrexham finally upped their game.

The passing was crisper and the enterprise greater but Cieslewicz and Tomassen got their bearings wrong with a shot and header respectively.

The Shaymen always posed a danger on the break and Mayebi had to get a strong hand on substitute Dan Gardner’s shot after they exploited more space.

Bishop put a header against the base of the post as Wrexham desperately tried to claw their way back into the game with 18 minutes left.

They were certainly in contention for a point when Cieslewicz smashed a smart volley past Phil Senior with ten minutes remaining.

The Pole had another go with two minutes left but his fizzing volley was well held by Senior.

Brett Ormerod was thrown on in the first of four minutes added time but Halifax held on against the determined ten men.

Wrexham: Mayebi; Hunt, Ashton, Wright, Tomassen (Evans 87); Harris, Thornton (Ormerod 90+1), Clarke; Ogleby (Clowes 42), Bishop, Cieslewicz.

Subs: Rushton, Coughlin (GK).

Referee: Peter Bankes 
Attendance: 1,671

Booked: Bishop, Harris, Mayebi, Clarke, Ashton, Thornton. 
Sent off: Wright

    Latest Match Reports