Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 28 Dec 13 at 17:09 PM

Hyde 2-5 Wrexham

After the shock of falling behind to winless Hyde, the home side scoring via two lovely long range strikes, Rob Ogleby was in good form to claim a match winning hat-trick.

He was assisted by second half strikes from Joe Clarke and Dave Artell, all this despite a spirited display by the home side who had Connor Hughes and Scott Spencer to thank for giving the home faithfully hope of a rare.

Fullback Adam Bateman had to make a saving block on six minutes, as Ogleby beat the offside trap down the left channel and fired at goal from 12 yards. It was deflected away for a corner, which was headed away by the home defence.

The Dragons though went ahead on 12 minutes, when Ogleby was alert enough to stab the ball home, after Dave Artell’s header from a Johnny Hunt corner had been blocked on the line by John Brizell.

The build up to that goal had seen a low cross from Ogleby knocked behind in bizarre fashion, after centre back D’Arcey O'Conner had ended up sitting on the ball in his haste to clear his lines and was just glad to hook it away for a corner.

That came in and caused more confusion for the Tigers, as Bateman almost scored an own goal at the back post, conceding a second corner in quick succession as the ball bounced off his legs when keeper Lawrence Vigouroux had missed his attempted punch.

Then a long ball from Jay Harris forced the home keeper to race out of his box to clear as Ogleby was bearing down on him.

Hyde did though found themselves level on 27 minutes, when Hughes fired home from 20 yards, a cross coming in from Brizell on the right and the forward swinging his boot, making a great contact to give Coughlin no chance.

Minutes later and we were trailing, as another long range effort, this time by Scott Spencer from the edge of the box, gave Hyde the lead. It all stemmed from an Andy Bishop back pass that had put Harris in trouble.

The striker beat the midfielder to the ball, turned towards goal and tried his luck, to reward the home team for not buckling after Wrexham’s early goal.

Carrington was then on hand to block a dangerous Hyde attack as they broke up field from a Wrexham corner, when Joe Anyinsah had seen his header cleared off of the line at the other end of the field.

Wrexham did pull themselves level on 39 minutes, when Ogleby grabbed his second of the afternoon. A great cross from Clarke on the right saw the Wales U21 striker beat the offside trap and plant a looping header over the stranded keeper.

With two minutes of the half left, Clarke flashed a 25-yard shot wide of the right hand post after being set up by Anyinsah.

And there was still time for Clowes to crash a header onto the Hyde woodwork from Hunt's corner, but the ball rebounded away from the danger zone.

Ht 2-2

After a bright opening to the second period by Hyde, it was the visitors who passed up a golden chance to score again on 49 minutes. 

As a Clowes header on at a free kick delivered from the centre circle, which fell in front of two green shirted players only six yards out, but neither Ogleby nor Artell obliged with the goal at their mercy.

Evans was booked for a foul on 53 minutes - then Bishop dived in on O'Connell but escaped a yellow as the Hyde defender received lengthy treatment.

On the hour, Coughlin was called on to made a fantastic one-handed save, diving high to his right to deny Hughes' 30-yard effort, pushing the ball away for a corner.

Shortly afterwards there was a double change with Hyde introducing Adam Thurston for Alex Brown, while Wrexham sent on Adrian Cieslewicz" style="color: rgb(27, 27, 27); text-decoration: none;">Adrian Cieslewicz for Anyinsah.

Cizz took his first touch of the ball to slip away down the left and pull a square pass that set up Joe Clarke for a long-range effort that was drilled low into the Hyde net on 63 minutes, as Wrexham regained the lead.

Just five minutes later, another sparkling Cizz run took him past three players, before he unselfishly laid off for Bishop, with the striker’s curling effort being superbly turned way by Hyde keeper in full flight.

A fourth goal was not far away though, as Ogleby claimed his hat-trick on 70 minutes, as the ex-Hearts man capitalised on a mistake by newly introduced substitute Danny Carlton to win the ball and drive home across the keeper and inside the far post to put us firmly in control.

Cizz was then fouled on the side of the box and O’Connor was booked for his effort. The ball was laid short for Bishop 10 yards out, but he mishit his effort and Hyde survived. 

The same player then should have buried another chance when set up by the Polish winger, who once again skinned the home defence. He spotted the forward making a run through the middle, but with the goal exposed, Bish failed to finish. 

He did though win a corner and from Hunt’s flag kick on the right, Dave Artell appeared unmarked to plant his header into the back of the home net to round off the scoring.

While they may have reached half way stage of the league season and failed to win any of their 23 games, Hyde certainly refused to lie down.

They fought to the last minute and their determination might have been better rewarded on a different day. 

Wrexham though were patient and despite finding themselves trailing at 2-1, stayed calm and worked their way back into the lead and ended up with a handsome win. We can still play much better, but you can only beat the team you are playing against and that was achieved with an improved second half display. 

Hyde: Vigouroux, Brizell, Day (Carlton 69), O’Connor, Blakeman; O’Donnell, Tomsett (Devaney 75), Brown (Thurston 60), Hughes; Spencer, Almond. 
Subs: Fitzgerald, Pollard. 

Wrexham: Coughlin, Carrington, Clowes, Artell, Hunt; Harris, Clarke, Evans (Tomassen 90); Anyinsah (Cieslewicz 61), Bishop, Ogleby (Bailey-Jones 82). 
Subs: Mayebi, Ormerod. 

Referee: Darren Hanley (Lancs) 
Attendance: 952 
Away: 500ish 

Bookings -
Hyde: O’Connor (82, foul) 
Wrexham: Evans (53, foul) 

    Latest Match Reports