Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Wed 01 Jan 14 at 17:49 PM

Alfreton Town 1-0 Wrexham

For the second time in seven days the Reds fell to Alfreton Town, this time despite a valiant display on a rain sodden pitch at the Impact Arena.

The home team scored right on half time through Job Akinde and it was to prove enough to claim the points, despite us hitting the woodwork and having a decent penalty appeal turned down.

Alfreton's deciding goal came moments after an assistant's flag had ruled out the ball entering the home net from a Joe Clarke corner, presumably for a foul on keeper Jon Worsnop, although that was not obvious.

The opening exchanges produced little of note, as the two teams were learning to cope with the heavy pitch underfoot, together with the blustery wind and rain that swirled around the stadium.

Andy Coughlin was alert on 11 minutes when a simple cross was suddenly taken by the wind and the keeper had to back pedal to collect the ball under his crossbar, from what had suddenly become an effort on goal!

The first yellow of the afternoon came with quarter of an hour played, as Lathaniel Rowe-Turner produced a late challenge on Jay Harris. In better conditions, the referee might have taken a dimmer view of the tackle, but a caution sufficed on this occasion.

As the minutes counted down, Steve Tomassen was sent on for Mark Carrington, with the former Bury man having literally run himself into the ground attacking down the right flank.

Cieslewicz and Anyinsah then combined to set up Robbie Evans, who fired his shot over the keeper but could only watch on as the ball came back off the crossbar.

From the next attack the referee did give us a free kick 25 yards and directly in front of goal, for an offence which looked far less convincing than the penalty appeal. Harris stepped up and fired his effort round the wall, but Worsnop was well placed to collect. 

Then Harris had a great appeal for a penalty as he raced onto the ball from Anyinsah and the midfielder appeared to be pushed to the ground from behind, but nothing was given.

Shortly afterwards, a great move by Wrexham ended with a cross from the right, which dropped for the substitute to fire at goal, but only straight at Worsnop.

With 20 minutes to go Joe Anyinsah was introduced for Andy Bishop and he did make a impression.

While not exactly one-way traffic, Alfreton were pegged back in their own area for long periods, although too often we failed to make this possession count in telling efforts on Worsnop's goal.

To Wrexham's credit, they emerged from the break to kick up the slope and took the game to their hosts.

Ht 1-0

It was rough justice on a Wrexham side that had enjoyed the better of the play.

The home side then took the lead right at the end of 45 minutes, as Job Akinde broke down the right, before firing low across Coughlin but inside the far post.

With two minutes of the half left, a Joe Clarke corner from the left was fumbled into his own net by Worsnop, but the linesman raised his flag up for a foul.

On 34 minutes, the Welshman really should have scored when following pressure on the home goal, the ball dropped for Ormerod on the edge of the box and his shot saw the keeper just dive in hope a cross his goal and somehow get lucky as it hit him.

As they did at the Racecourse, Alfreton again got one of their centre halves free at the back post to attack a corner, but this time Darran Kempson got under the ball and could only head over the target.

Ten minutes later, Coughlin did well to save at the feet of Akinde, tipping the ball away for a corner as the big forward headed for his goal.

Alfreton really should have opened the scoring on 19 minutes when an dangerous attack down their right saw the ball run across the edge of the Wrexham box and as Job Akinde looked poised to fire into an exposed net, he somehow only managed to hit one his fellow strikers and watch his effort deflected wide.

Moments later confusion reigned in the home penalty area as Harris got the ball into the box, Brett Ormerod had his effort blocked and as it ran free to Abdy Bishop his chip from distance carried over the target.

Wrexham piled on the pressure to the end, with Alfreton having two players booked for time wasting in the closing minutes, but it was to prove to no avail as the home team hung on for their fifth straight league victory to consolidate third spot in the table.  

Alfreton Town: Worsnop, Westwood, Wylde, Kempson, Wood, Franklin, Meadows, Bradley (Shaw 78), Clayton (Wishart 65), Akinde, Rowe-Turner.
Subs: Atkins, Fenton, McFadzean.

Wrexham: Coughlin, Carrington (Tomassen 83), Clowes, Artell, Hunt; Clarke, Evans, Harris: Ormerod, Bishop (Anyinsah 71), Cieslewicz.
Subs: Mayebi, Colbeck, Bailey-Jones.

Referee: Adrian Holmes (Yorkshire)
Attendance: 765
Away: 171

Bookings -
 Rowe-Turner (15, foul), Wood (88, time wasting), Meadows (90, time wasting)
Wrexham: Evans (37, foul)

    Latest Match Reports