Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 17 Aug 13 at 19:04 PM

Late Goal Denies Away Win

Both teams took the lead on an entertaining afternoon, but neither could do just enough to claim the three points. 

New boy Junior Ntame’s first contribution was a towering 20-yard header away from his own penalty area. 

After just six minutes, Wrexham scrambled one shot away, then Joslain Mayebi denied Richard Peniket from close range with a great save, pushing the ball onto his left hand post. 

Clowes tackle back on the big figure of Peniket ruled fair by the referee as the Tamworth man tumbled in the Wrexham box - could have done with him on Tuesday night! 

On 19 minutes, the home side did take the lead when Jake Jones was clear in on the Wrexham goal, Mayebi did seem to grab the ball at the feet the forward, but he broke clear to spin round and fire home into an empty net. 

It all started with a poor back pass from Leon Clowes that Mayebi attempted to dribble clear, but Tamworth only picked up the ball through Richards and Jones made the most of this chance

Wrexham’s first really attack on 22 minutes after a Cieslewicz run was ended with a corner for the visitors. 

Another effort from Tamworth saw them thunder a shot just wide from the edge of the box, after a corner only reached Lloyd Kerry. 

Joe Clarke’s high and handsome effort was the closest we had come to worry the home keeper Cameron Belford, in his fluorescent orange strip. 

33: Bishop offside as he spins and fires over the Tamworth bar from 18-yards - closest we have come so far. 

A Wrexham free kick was delivered in by Kevin Thornton, rather bizarrely Duane Courtney kicks it over his head and straight into the hands of his own keeper! 

On 37 minutes a rather undeserved leveller came our way, when Thornton slipped a pass through for Andy Bishop to go in on Belford. His effort was blocked, but the ball ran loose to the following Brett Ormerod to tap home from close range. 

Nicely worked Tamworth corner was headed goal wards by Courtney, but only struck his own players and Wrexham were able to clear up field. 

Wrexham had a lucky double escape minutes before the break as Thornton was judged to fouled Jones coming in along the goal line from the corner flag. 

As we waited for the spot kick, the Irishman then felt aggrieved enough to push the Tamworth player over. It seemed a nailed on red card, but all the officials seemed to miss it and the pair just got a dressing down from the referee who knew something had happened behind his back. 

The kick was finally taken by full back Jack Evans, who hit the ball well enough, but Mayebi was more than equal to the effort and pushed the kick round a post for a corner. 

The corner dropped nicely for Tamworth’s Thomas, but from 12-yards out he blazed his shot over the cross bar when well placed. 

Ht 1-1 

We tried our best to give away a second goal from a back pass as Ntame played it Mayebi, his hurried clearance was only to Clarke 20 yards out, he was robbed by Byfield. The subs’ efforts was saved by Mayebi, then as the ball ran free Peniket should have scored off the rebound – but didn’t. 

On 62 minutes, Rob Ogleby was sent on for Cieslewicz. 

Byfield booked for a foul on Bishop, then he gets on the end of a left wing corner and heads off target under pressure from Johnny Hunt 

Ogleby got through on the keeper, but Belford reacted quickly and dived at the striker’s feet to deny him. 

Just before he was replaced by Bradley Reid, Ormerod saw his goal bound header hit the legs of the unsuspecting full back Evans. 

Clarke then fires a cross across the face of the goal and Reid was on hand but only into the side netting. 

The introduction of Robbie Evans brought the average age down again, as Andy Morrell looked to build on shift of possession in our favour. 

It certainly bore fruit on 79 minutes as Reid fired the Welshmen in front, finishing from 15 yards when a corner dropped kindly for him. 

Then at the other end Mayebi save a free header from Todd at the back post as Tamworth once again showed their threat. This signalled several shots and headers raining in on the Wrexham goal. 

An equaliser came their on 84 minutes, when Wrexham failed to clear their lines and Byfield was able to turn and shot at goal, his shot taking a deflection to beat Mayebi. 

Play switched from end-to-end as both sides surged forward in search of a winner. 

Yet another escape for Wrexham as Tomassen cleared Todd’s low shot off the line at corner in the added time. 

Another corner was swung in by Tamworth and Byfield was free to side foot on target, but Mayebi was well positioned to make the block. 

Tamworth:Belford, Evans, Thomas, Richards-Everton, Capaldi; Kerry, Courtney, Baker (Todd 77), Jones; Peniket, Richards (Byfield 46). 
Subs: Wren, Harris, Woolery.

Wrexham: Mayebi, Tomassen, Clowes, Ntame, Hunt; Harris, Clarke, Thornton (Evans 77), Cieslewicz (Ogleby 62), Bishop, Ormerod (Reid 72)

Subs: Coughlin, Rushton.


Referee: Rob Whitton (Essex)

Attendance: 1,128

Away: 398


Bookings -

Tamworth: Byfield (68, foul)

Wrexham: Reid (90, foul)

    Latest Match Reports