Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 04 Jan 14 at 19:09 PM

Wrexham 2-1 Aldershot Town

Jay Harris struck a wonder goal in the dying moments of a scrappy contest to lift spirits around the Racecourse.

Skipper for the day Joe Clarke headed Wrexham into a 15th minute lead but Brett Williams (20) netted as the visitors responded immediately.

Andy Scott’s team dominated the second half for long spells and Wrexham were indebted to two crucial saves by Andy Coughlin either side of Harris’s 87th minute winner.

And what a winner it was, a sublime strike from 30 yards that earned Wrexham the points they probably did not deserve.

The crowd, which included Wales boss Chris Coleman, were given little to shout about in the opening ten minutes.

However, Wrexham burst into life soon after and could have been ahead had Shots goalkeeper Glenn Morris not been equal to Joe Anyinsah’s low shot from 12 yards following good work by Theo Bailey

Jones, fresh from signing a contract extension until the end of the season.

The goal did arrive minutes later when an unmarked Clarke powered in a header into the top corner of the net from Mark Carrington’s corner.

The lead barely lasted five minutes when Williams ghosted through a static Reds defence looking for offside to be signalled and picked his spot past Coughlin.

The Shots looked more dangerous thereafter but their final passes continued to let Wrexham off the hook.

Kyle Parle replaced Leon Clowes for the second half and the young defender was barely given a moment to settle as the visitors continued where they left off – banging on Wrexham’s door.

With just over 20 minutes left Aldershot’s Jaydon Gibbs, brother of Arsenal’s Kieron, wasted a glorious chance to put his side ahead, firing straight at Coughlin from point-blank range after the Reds keeper had failed to gather Williams’ low drive from 25 yards.

Cizz and Andy Bishop were thrown on by boss Andy Morrell but it was one of his trusty midfielders who came up trumps.

With just minutes left Harris picked the ball up, saw some space in front of him and unleashed a stunning drive from all of 30 yards. Morris got a hand to it but the power and precision was just too much.

Aldershot threw men forward in a bid to get a deserved share of the spoils but Coughlin beat away Adam Mekki’s goal-bound shot as injury time loomed.

The relief at the final whistle was palpable as Wrexham maintained their solid home form.

Wrexham: Coughlin; Tomassen, Clowes (Parle 46), Artell, Hunt; Clarke (c), Carrington, Harris: Ogleby (Cieslewicz 71), Bailey-Jones (Bishop 74), Anyinsah.
Subs: Mayebi, Ormerod.

Aldershot Town: Morris, Oastler (Mekki 79), Barker, Goodman; Gibbs, Stanley, Partington, Rowlands, Roberts (Paterson 90); Williams, O'Brien.
Subs: Williams, Tonkin, Young.

Referee: Chris Kavanagh (Gtr Manchester)
Attendance: 2,819
Away: 148

Bookings -
Wrexham: Bailey-Jones, Ogleby

    Latest Match Reports