Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Wed 17 Jul 13 at 05:04 AM

A Poor Afternoon At Sincil Bank...

Wrexham were undone by two set pieces from Dan Gray, as twice the full back got the ball in for Ben Tomlinson to find space and notch a double from close range – with one in each half.

With little to show from the first 60 minutes, it took a double change on the hour to finally spark the Dragons into life, but when an equaliser looked possible Gray and Tomlinson combined to snuff out the danger.

Fully seven minutes before anything of not happened, then a flick header from Andy Bishop dropped nicely for Kevin Thornton on the left side of the goal, but his effort flew high over Paul Farman’s crossbar.

After a series of long balls, it was a long throw from Lincoln's Dan Gray that was met by the head of centre half Andrew Boyce, but Joslain Mayebi equal to it and saved on 22 minutes.

Another change for the Reds in defence as after treatment, Stephen Wright was replaced by Leon Clowes on 36 minutes. Wright wanted to continue, but finally Clowes was sent on as a sub.

Moments later a Gray free kick came into the box, Boyce flicked it on and Ben Tomlinson nipped in to lift his effort over Mayebi.

City taking advantage of the new set up at the back for Wrexham and they almost doubled their lead seconds alter as Waide Fairhurst got some power behind an effort from 18-yards, but it was straight at Mayebi.

In added time, a Ntame chest back to Mayebi allowed Jake Sheridan the chance to nip in, but he lifted his effort over the bar.

A long clearance from Mayebi, was collected by Reid, who got away from two defenders, but keeper Farman was quickly on the scene to deny the young striker.

Ht 1-0

Ten minutes into the second half and an aimless long clearance from keeper Farman carried over everyone. Mayebi raced towards his left corner flag, but then lost the ball in his laces and it went out for a corner - with no City player within 20 yards.

On the hour, with Lincoln looking the more likely to score the next goal Andy Morrell made a double substation with Johnny Hunt and Joe Anyinsah coming on for Thornton and Reid.

A first booking on the day sees Steve Tomassen have his name taken for a pretty nothing foul, maybe he said something at the decision.

A change of formation to 4-4-2 saw the Dragons lift the pace and on 70 minutes we could have done better as Hunt set up Ormerod, but with the ball on his wrong foot his switched feet and that allowed Newton to throw himself in front of the resulting shot.

A Clarke cross ended up grazing the home crossbar as it floated towards the back post from the left wing.

Almost had a ‘Dele’ moment there, as keeper wide of his goal cleared up field, but only to Evans, but defender in before chance of shooting!

The swing in momentum towards Wrexham forced the home side into a double substation of their own.

A long throw of our own by Tomassen caused problems in the City box, but it was finally cleared. The Clarke set off on a great 70-yard run from one end of the pitch to the other, but couldn’t make it count.

Despite their resurgence, it was another long throw in that finally undid the Dragons as Gray’s effort came in, was flicked on and Tomlinson arrived to stab the ball back across Mayebi – giving the keeper no chance.

In the final minutes, Bishop caused problems and Ormerod latched onto the ball, firing an effort that clipped the top of the crossbar. 

Lincoln City:  Paul Farman, Dan Gray, Andrew Boyce, Nat Brown, Sean Newton, Ma Fofana, Jon Nolan, Waide Fairhurst (Luke Foster ), Jake Sheridan (Tom Miller 86), Danny Rowe (Bohan Dixon ), Ben Tomlinson. 
Subs: David Preece, Todd Jordan.

Wrexham: Joslain Mayebi, Steve Tomassen, Junior Ntame, Steve Wright, Neil Ashton; Kevin Thornton (Johnny Hunt 63), Joe Clarke, Robbie Evans; Andy Bishop, Brett Ormerod, Bradley Reid (Joe Anyinsah 63). 
Subs: Andy Coughlin, Rob Ogleby. 

Referee: Richard Wigglesworth

Booking - 
Tomassen (66, foul)

    Latest Match Reports