Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 11 Jan 14 at 21:09 PM

Wrexham 0-0 FC Halifax Town

Wrexham registered their first goalless draw of the season after being frustrated by Halifax.

Chances were at a premium at either end during a contest which ebbed more than flowed.

The Shaymen showed they are a well-drilled outfit and their chances of keeping a clean sheet increased significantly when Reds striker Brett Ormerod was sent off in added time in the first half for violent conduct.

Andy Coughlin was rarely called upon to make a save of note but he was imperious in the air as Halifax laboured from set-pieces.

But Reds boss Andy Morrell will be pleased with the first clean sheet in nine outings in all competitions as his side showed good spirit against Neil Aspin’s playoff chasers.

Steve Tomassen was asked to continue impressing at centre-back after deputising admirably following the injury to Leon Clowes mid-way through the 2-1 victory over Aldershot.

Neil Ashton returned after missing the last three games whilst Johnny Hunt reverted back to midfield.

Brett Ormerod was preferred to Theo Bailey-Jones in attack with the youngster having to settle for a place on the bench.

A fast-paced start brought an early booking for Ashton, who seemed to catch Lois Maynard accidentally after the ball was won by his opponent.

Both sides each fashioned their first real chance within a minute. Shaymen stopper Matt Glennon cut a worried figure as Ormerod’s flicked header breezed just over from Hunt’s free-kick. 
Then Andy Coughlin smothered Adam Smith’s bobbling shot from 20 yards.

Rob Ogleby should have done better after latching onto Hunt’s lofted pass but, under pressure, he shot tamely across goal and Glennon collected with ease.

In first half injury time Ormerod looked crestfallen after he was issued a straight red card by referee Martin Coy upon the recommendation of one of his assistants, who saw the striker kick out at Marc Roberts.

Jay Harris forced Glennon into a smart save as the ten men started the second half brightly. However, they breathed a collective sigh of relief when Roberts’ celebrations were cut short after his header was ruled out for offside.

Coughlin was equal to Josh Wilson’s long-range effort before Morrell made his first change of the game, sending on Andy Bishop for Joe Anyinsah.

And the substitute almost made a telling impact but he headed wide at the near post from Johnny Hunt’s corner.

Shaymen defender Roberts had no such problem getting his header on target at the other end, but he directed it straight into Coughlin’s arms. The keeper then held onto Maynard’s drive as Halifax poured forward in search of a late winner.

Wrexham held on to ensure their goal was not breached for the first time since November 23.

Coughlin; Carrington, Tomassen, Artell, Ashton; Harris, Clarke, Hunt; Ormerod, Ogleby (Bailey-Jones 74), Anyinsah (Bishop 66).
Subs: Mayebi, Parle, Evans.

Matt Glennon, Lois Maynard, Marc Roberts, Simon Ainge, Scott McManus; Matty Pearson, John Challinor, Adam Smith (John McReady 81), Kevin Holsgrove (Reece Gray 81); Josh Wilson, Lee Gregory.
Subs: Phil Senior, Jon Worthington, Paul Marshall.

Martin Coy (Co Durham)
Attendance: 3,214
Away: 286

Sending Off -
Wrexham: Ormerod (45, violent conduct)

Bookings -
Wrexham: Ashton (6, foul), Artell (55, foul), Bailey-Jones (74, foul)

    Latest Match Reports