Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 17 Sep 13 at 23:05 PM

Reds pick up more valuable points...

Three second half goals from Brett Ormerod, Steve Tomassen and Andy Bishop did the damage as Wrexham ran out comfortable winners, but it was far from that in the opening 45 minutes.

The Reds opened brightly, but it was the home side that looked the more dangerous when they took their turn to attack.

The combination of right full back Carl Magnay and midfielder Colin Larkin were a constant thorn to the Wrexham defence, with the players interchanging positions at will.

Several times the ball dropped kindly for the Heed, but striker Adam Boyes and winger Josh Walker could only force comfortable saves out of Joslain Mayebi.

There was a enforced change for the home side on 25 minutes as Walker hobbled off the pitch to be replaced by Mickey Cummins.

Within a minute Cummins cut in from the left and his angled drive saw Mayebi make another smart save.

At a Gateshead corner on 30 minutes, the ball was played low to the near post where James Curtis was first to the ball, but he could only fire behind for a goal kick.

Wrexham responded a few minutes later as a nice sweeping move down the right ended with a ball into the six-yard box that Johnny Hunt should have swept home, but it instead flicked off his boot and fell to a surprised Theo Bailey-Jones behind him, who fared no better.

Bailey-Jones then combined with Neil Ashton on the left wing and the resulting cross looked headed to Brett Ormerod, but Ben Clark made a great interception to clear the danger.

Junior Ntame and Andy Bishop then exchanged passes with the centre half bursting through to the edge of the home box, but his shot was cut out by Curtis.

With the fourth official indicating two added minutes, Gateshead swept forward through Brown and Larkin, to set Jamie Chandler in on goal, but with Mayebi exposed, the midfielder fired high into the night sky.

Wrexham then raced to the other end and Bishop’s flick on sent Joe Clarke away, he beat two men and fired in an effort that clipped a defender, taking it inches passed Adam Bartlett’s left hand post with the keeper flat footed.

There were no changes at the break as the Reds looked to shift up a gear, although a long range effort from Cummins was the first effort of note, even if it did sail well away from Mayebi's goal.

Then came the turning point, as on 55 minutes a great cross from the left wing allowed Brett Ormerod to get between the two centre halves to head passed Bartlett from eight yards.

With their noses in front Wrexham were not to be denied and a second followed 10 minutes later. Ormerod turned provider as he drove to the line but still found time to pick out Steve Tomassen with a low pull back, that the full back fired high into the Gateshead net.

Liam Hatch almost pulled on back when he worked space for himself and looked to curl the ball into the top corner of the Wrexham net, but Mayebi flung himself full length to tip away the effort.

With a bit of breathing space the visitors took full advantage and scored a third goal on 70 minutes, following a great build up that saw Ormerod once again deliver a quality cross into the box. This time Andy Bishop was on the end of it and he headed easily passed Bartlett to end any hopes that Gateshead might have had of a comeback.

There was still time for Adrian Cieslewicz to force another save out of Bartlett, pushing his low shot round a post, before a right wing corner was headed on by Ashton and only missed the back post by a whisker.

Overall another step in the right direction for Andy Morrell's troops and a morale booster before the second long trip of the week on Saturday to Aldershot. 

Gateshead: Adam Bartlett, Carl Magnay, James Curtis, Ben Clark, Luke O'Brien: Phil Turnbull, Josh Walker (Mickey Cummins 25 (Liam Hatch 60)), Jamie Chandler, Colin Larkin; Adam Boyes (Marcus Maddison 60), James Brown.
Subs: Jordan Nixon, James Marwood. 

Wrexham: Joslain Mayebi, Steve Tomassen, Junior Ntame (Leon Clowes 89), David Artell, Neil Ashton; Joe Clarke, Jay Harris, Johnny Hunt; Andy Bishop (Rob Ogleby 83), Brett Ormerod, Theo Bailey-Jones (
Adrian Cieslewicz 65).
Subs: Andy Coughlin, Mark Carrington. 

Referee: Adrian Holmes (Yorks)  
Attendance: 538 
Away: 48 

Booking -
Gateshead: Marcus Maddison (90, foul)

    Latest Match Reports