Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 08 Feb 14 at 17:10 PM

No joy in the Racecourse mud...

After going a goal down on 10 minutes through Andy Pugh, Joe hit a well struck leveller, but then right on half time a mistake in midfield gifted the Darts the lead for a second time as Elliott Bradbrook restored the visitors’ lead. 

Despite constant pressure from Wrexham in the second half, the Darts battled hard to maintain their advantage and claimed the points. 

Victory move them two points from safety in Conference Premier while Wrexham are now eight points off the play-off places. 

The game was played in driving rain as the groundstaff battled to keep the game on following an 8.00am pitch inspection. 

We fell behind from a free kick on 10 minutes, when Mark Carrington initially appeared to have moved away from his marker some 20 yards from his own area, but before he could clear the danger was robbed of the ball. 

As Dartford looked to bear down on Andy Coughlin’s goal the full back caught Jim Stevenson’s legs to concede a free kick 30 yards out, also earning himself a yellow card. 

Direct from the free kick Alex Wall’s effort passed under the defensive wall and although Coughlin was able to parry the initial shot, before he could recover Andy Pugh swooped to fire home the rebound. 

It was 10 minutes later that the Reds drew level. Initially they won a corner when Dean Keates’ persistence won a corner following a head down by Andy Bishop on the left wing. 

Carrington trotted across to take the kick which hung in the air above Alan Julian’s goal and when with the Dartford defence only able to half clear the ball, Joe Clarke was on hand to measure his effort and drive a rising shot through bodies for the equaliser from 15 yards. 

Back on level terms, the Reds looked to see if they could improve the situation and Johnny Hunt was unlucky not to put the home side in front just after the half hour mark. 

Neil Ashton recovered the ball inside the visitors half, fed a pass through for Hunt and the converted striker turn up field, advanced a few paces before unleashing a stinging effort  from 20 yards that keeper Julian managed to tip onto the underside of his cross bar. 

The ball bounced down and back into play with Clarke’s follow up cross then deflected behind for a corner. 

With the fourth official having raise his board for added time, a poor pass on the halfway line allowed Elliott Bradbrook to break up field, he laid a pass off for the overlapping Pugh on the edge of the Wrexham box.

The striker’s low effort was blocked by the outstretched foot of Coughlin, but as the ball rebounded up field Bradbrook continued his run to fire a low effort from inside the ‘D’ and into the net between a number of retreating red shirts. 

With this lead to defend in the second period, Dartford did just that, as they battled hard in worsening conditions. 

While Wrexham had the majority of possession while attacking the GUS, the visiting defence seemed to deal with most of the threats comfortably enough.

On the hour there was a debut for Elliott Durrell, as he was joined by Joe Anyinsah in a double switch.

The former Hednesford man made a positive contribution as he ploughed up the left flank and sent a series of decent crosses.

We did strike the cross bar again and had another effort hacked off the line, before a hopeful shout for handball, but eventually the minutes ticked down to our fourth home defeat of the season. 

Andy Coughlin, Mark Carrington, Steve Tomassen, Danny Livesey, Neil Ashton; Joe Clarke, Dean Keates (Kevin Thornton 82), Jay Harris; Johnny Hunt (Elliott Durrell 58), Andy Bishop, Rob Ogleby (Joe Anyinsah 58)

Subs: Joslain Mayebi, David Artell.

Dartford: Alan Julian, Lee Burns, Mat Mitchell-King, Rory McAuley, Tyrone Sterling; Alex Woodyard (Lee Noble 83), Max Cornhill, James Stevenson, Elliott Bradbrook; Alex Wall (Danny Harris 71), Andy Pugh (Kenny Clark 90). 
Subs: Ben Swallow, Mikel Suarez.

Referee: Jason Whiteley (Yorks)
Attendance: 2,645 
Away: 52 

Bookings -
Wrexham: Carrington (10, foul), Ogleby (37, foul) 
Dartford: Wall (26, foul) 

    Latest Match Reports