Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 24 Sep 13 at 22:05 PM

Wrexham 2 v 3 Braintree Town

Two own goals contributed to Wrexham’s downfall as their erratic start to the season continued with defeat to Braintree.

It was a memorable first Wrexham start for Mark Carrington, but for all the wrong reasons as he gifted the Essex side the lead with a third minute own goal.

Dean Wells (21) doubled their advantage with a neat finish before Johnny Hunt’s sublime chip (30) cut the deficit.

Four minutes later the momentum was with Wrexham when Jay Harris blasted home a low drive from 20 yards.

And despite Wrexham upping the ante in the second half they succumbed to another rush of blood in front of their own goalkeeper, Steve Tomassen (68) the second unfortunate defender to put through his own net.

Andy Morrell’s pre-match plans were thrown into disarray, when Junior Ntame pulled up injured in the warm-up.

Tomassen, originally dropped by the Reds boss for Carrington, answered the SOS and filled in at the heart of defence alongside David Artell with Carrington at right-back.

Disaster struck for former Bury player Carrington after just three minutes. There appeared to be no danger as Ryan Peters fired in a low cross into the box from the right but, inexplicably, Carrington sliced into his own net from six yards as a hurried clearance went badly wrong.

Wrexham hit back but Tomassen’s header dipped over the bar from Johnny Hunt’s cross as the hosts attempted to claw back the advantage.

Matt Paine diverted a header wide at the other end as Wrexham looked decidedly shaky defending the set-piece.

And so it proved when the next corner came in. Wrexham failed to clear their lines, the ball fell invitingly for Wells who managed to squeeze it between two players and Joslain Mayebi on the goal-line.

Refusing to press the panic button Wrexham got back into the game when the passes starting finding their targets.

Theo Bailey-Jones’ attempted cross into the box was partially cleared and Harris strode forward before cracking the ball first time into the corner of the net from 20 yards.

Wells produced heroics at the other end of the pitch just minutes into the second half, spreading himself to prevent a certain goal after Bailey-Jones had powerfully headed down Harris’ centre.

A Wrexham goal looked increasingly likely but all their hard work was undone by yet another own goal, this time the luckless Tomassen spooning into his own net. A raised flag by the referee’s assistant appeared to get the defender off the hook, but the man in the middle Brett Huxtable overruled the decision and awarded the goal.

Harris blasted a shot from 30 yards just over the bar as Braintree battened down the hatches with eight minutes left as Wrexham struggled to get back into their flow.

Reds substitute Adrian Cieslewicz was beaten by the bounce as he fizzed a volley wide from Neil Ashton’s chest down, before Morrell replaced the crocked Tomassen as the game entered five minutes of added time.

All Wrexham got were yellow cards for Harris and Mayebi either side of Dan Sparkes crashing a vicious free-kick against the bar.

Wrexham: Mayebi, Carrington, Tomassen (Morrell, 90), Artell, Ashton (cpt); Clarke, Harris, Hunt; Bishop, Ormerod (Ogleby, 82), Bailey-Jones (Cieslewicz, 66). 
Subs: Coughlin, Evans.

Referee: Brett Huxtable 
Attendance: 2,731 
Away: 14 

Bookings - 
 Bailey-Jones (45+2, foul), Clarke (72, dissent), Ashton (72, dissent), Harris (90+4, foul), Mayebi (90+6, dissent) 
Braintree: Strutton (40, foul), Marks (87, time wasting), Cox (90+5)

    Latest Match Reports