Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 28 Sep 13 at 17:06 PM

Wrexham 1 v 1 Cambridge United

Injury-hit Wrexham again showed they have what it takes to mix with the division’s big-hitters after earning a deserved point against a well-drilled Cambridge United side.

Leon Clowes headed Wrexham into a sixth minute lead but it lasted barely ten minutes, Kwesi Appiah pouncing on a mistake by Joslain Mayebi to level for the early league leaders.

The Reds created the better chances in the second half but United’s defence held firm to secure their second successive 1-1 draw.

Wrexham manager Andy Morrell had to field yet another centre back pairing – the 11th in 12 matches – with Clowes preparing to plan through the pain barrier to partner David Artell.

With Andy Bishop succumbing to illness Joe Anyinsah made a timely return from injury to take his place upfront alongside Brett Ormerod and Theo Bailey-Jones.

Anyinsah played a role which led to the corner for the opening goal after six minutes, his powerful frame causing panic in the U’s defence as Jay Harris’s scuffed shot fell to him before it was hacked clear.

Johnny Hunt hung his corner high to the back post and Clowes was left with the simple task of nodding it down past ex-Reds stopper Chris Maxwell.

Ten minutes later a poor error by Mayebi gifted United the equaliser. After plucking Lewis Dunk’s corner out of the air, the keeper rolled the ball out but only managed to smash his intended ball up field into Appiah. He took two touches to get the ball under control and stabbed a low shot past Mayebi.

Brett Ormerod wasted a glorious chance to restore the lead in the23rd minute, volleying over from close-range from Hunt’s centre.

Anyinsah and Joe Clarke headed and volleyed over from close-range respectively as Wrexham continued to create the better scoring chances.

Cambridge started the second half brightly and Mayebi had to be alert to palm Liam Hughes’s low effort away after Wrexham’s rear-guard dallied.

Maxwell clutched Clarke’s powerful free-kick out of the air before Dunk dragged a shot wide at the other end.

Maxwell was well-placed to gather Anyinsah’s drive from 15 yards before the striker made way for Rob Ogleby with less than 15 minutes left.

Mayebi went someway to making amends for his first half mistake with a wonderful fingertip save that denied Appiah a second from close range and with it secured Wrexham a well-earned point after two grim defeats.

Wrexham: Mayebi; Carrington, Artell, Clowes, Ashton (cpt); Clarke, Harris, Hunt (Cieslewicz, 79), Bailey-Jones; Anyinsah (Ogleby, 76), Ormerod. 
Subs: Coughlin, Stephens, Royle.

Referee:Ross Joyce (Teeside) 

Booked - 
Carrington (19, handball), Bailey-Jones (57, foul), Clarke (57, dissent), Harris (67, foul) 

    Latest Match Reports