Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 22 Mar 14 at 21:11 PM

Whites Hit Back To Take A Point

Wrexham failed to give new manager Kevin Wilkin a winning start after a jittery performance against Salisbury.

Neil Ashton’s 24th minute penalty was cancelled out by Clovis Kamdjo’s equaliser in first half added time.

The Whites dominated the second half for long spells to give Wilkin plenty to ponder ahead of his next game at Woking.

A year on from that glorious FA Trophy triumph at Wembley Wrexham were tasked with starting to write what will hopefully be another glorious chapter under the tutelage of Wilkin.

Seeking momentum from the off the Reds boss kept faith with the starting XI who despatched Hereford United with minimum fuss on Tuesday night.

Despite a half chance falling to Rob Ogleby Wrexham looked nervous in the early stages.

No-one picked up Joe Clarke’s back-pass which allowed Chris McPhee through on goal but he fired a wild effort over.

The timid start to Wilkin’s Wrexham reign ended when Clovis Kamdjo bundled over Jay Harris in the box, leaving referee Wayne Barrett in no doubt but to award a spot kick.

Ashton waited before sending keeper Will Puddy the wrong way with an arrowing drive into the right of the net.

The Whites responded but Danny Livesey’s crucial block denied skipper Glenn Wilson just seven yards out as Wrexham toiled in the headwind.

In first half stoppage time Kamdjo atoned for his earlier error. Stuart Sinclair twisted and turned on the edge of the box before curling it on for Kamdjo to head past Coughlin after ghosting across his marker.

Andy Bishop replaced Ogleby at the break but Wrexham were contained inside their own half for the first quarter.

Coughlin watched Elliott Frear’s 25 yard shot fly past his near post as the visitors grew in confidence.

The tireless Sinclair tested Coughlin from distance and Joe Clarke was inches away from regaining the lead after Dean Keates had swung the ball into the danger zone.

Wilkin threw on Joe Anyinsah whilst Salisbury manager Mikey Harris was forced into a change, with limping goalkeeper Puddy making way for James Bittner.

He was forced into action just 30 seconds after coming on, getting down low to smother a trademark Harris effort from distance.

Wrexham tried to force the issue thereafter and struggled to get a look-in as the spoils were rightly shared. 

Coughlin; Wright, Ashton, Livesey, Clarke, Harris, Ormerod (Anyinsah, 81), Keates, Ogleby (Bishop, 46), Hunt, Carrington. 
Subs: Mayebi, Tomassen, Artell.

Salisbury City: Will Puddy (
James Bittner 46), Ryan Brett, James Clarke, Glenn Wilson, Chris McPhee (Charlie Sheringham 82), Elliott Frear, Clovis Kamdjo, Stuart Sinclair, Dan Fitchett, Angus MacDonald, Kevin Amankwaah. 
Subs: Jamie White, Theo Lewis.

Wayne Barrett (Worcs) 
Attendance: 2,850 
Away: 18 

Bookings - 
Salisbury: Amankwaah (63, foul) 

    Latest Match Reports