Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 29 Mar 14 at 21:12 PM

Dragons Fall to The Cards

This was a game that the home side did have the better of, but Kevin Wilkin will still be disappointed that his side couldn't have brought something home from Kingfield.

A goal in each half for the Cardinals did the damage and it was one Joseph Jones who got the decider.

In between it was a leveller for Johnny Hunt.

In the first few minutes the bumpy pitch worked against Woking, as Keiran Murtagh tried to pick his spot from 15 yards and lifted an effort high over the Wrexham crossbar!

Minutes later and Andy Coughlin was forced to tip a header from Scott Rendell over the bar for a corner.

Wrexham aimed a free kick into the home box, with Bradley Reid jumping with home keeper who dropped the ball, but his defence was able to clear the danger.

The opening goal came on 20 minutes, as Scott Rendell finished off at the back post as the Dragons were caught up field after an attack broke down. A lob from Jack Marriott on the left was palmed away by Coughlin, only for Rendell to tap home.

The Dragons hit straight back as a Keates free kick into the box and as the keeper could only parry the ball leading scorer Johnny Hunt was on hand to fire home from eight yards.

Bishop was then so unlucky with a shot through traffic that keeper Howe tipped round a post for a corner. Reid rose highest in the box but could only headed over from the flag kick!

On the next attack Reid turned his man on the edge of the Woking box and struck shot across the keeper, but Howe was able to save lows to his left.

Home keeper injured as he collected an uncontested ball on the corner of his box and after treatment he was hobbling off!

Ht 1-1

Harris had the first effort of the second half, but his shot went fizzing over the bar from 18 yards.

After a quiet spell Rendell got free on the right and Coughlin saved at his near post at the expense of a corner on 57 minutes.

Following that corner, which was only half cleared, Joseph Jones got his shot through legs and into the left hand corner of the net.

Wrexham responded and Bishop's header from an Ashton cross landed on the roof of the Woking net.

Then on 66 minutes there was more bad news as Reid seemed to have landed heavily on his left ankle and after treatment was helped off – to be replaced by Joe Anyinsah.

Bishop tried his luck from distance, but his shot was high over the home crossbar.

On 79 minutes, a second sub for the Dragons, this time tactical with Brett Ormerod replacing Bishop.

Great ball from Harris set Ashton in behind with four minutes remaining, but as the keeper came off his line the full back fired right across goal and wide.

Harris then let rip with a long range shot, but it was always off target and didn't worry Beasant – not that much had in the second half.

There was still time left for a good header by Ashton from a Keates free kick, which finally forced Beasant into a save – with only a few minutes remaining.

Three added minutes as Coughlin tipped a Sole free kick from 25 yards onto his bar.

And a yellow card for Steve Wright for a foul!

Woking:  Aaron Howe (Sam Beasant 40), Adam Newton, Mark Ricketts, Joe McNerney, John Nutter; Kevin Betsy, Kieran Murtagh, Joseph Jones (Brett Johnson 81), John Goddard; Scott Rendell, Jack Marriott (Giuseppe Sole 75).  
Subs: Mike Cestor, Reece Beckles.  

Andy Coughlin, Mark Carrington, Danny Livesey, Stephen Wright, Neil Ashton; Joe Clarke, Jay Harris, Dean Keates, Johnny Hunt; Andy Bishop (Brett Ormerod 79), Bradley Reid (Joe Anyinsah 66). 
Subs: Joslain Mayebi, Steve Tomassen, David Artell. 

Referee: Rob Whitton (Essex) 
Attendance: 2,117 
Away: 180 

Booking - 
Wright (90, foul) 


    Latest Match Reports