Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 26 Apr 14 at 19:25 PM

Forest Green Rovers 1-1 Wrexham

Kevin Wilkin will be pleased with the way his team reacted in the second half and thoroughly deserved that late equaliser from Johnny Hunt.

Our leading striker calmly firing home a 90th minute penalty after substitute keeper Paul White had fouled Bradley Reid in the last minute of normal time.

The home side had surged in front early in the first half, when James Norwood slipped the ball passed the advancing Andy Coughlin after the home side split open the Wrexham defence.

The first chance of the match came when Luke Rodgers robbed David Artell in the middle of the pitch, his ball in for Anthony Barry was a good one, but the midfielder’s pass onto Lee Hughes was poor, as the ex-Baggie would have had a free shot at goal!

Johnny Hunt then found space down the left and an inviting cross was just half a pace in front of Joe Clarke, as he arrived on the edge of the home box.

The opening goal came on 14 minutes, as a through ball opened up a big hole between Mark Carrington and the centre halves, with Norwood free to run in and slot home with Coughlin left exposed.

Wrexham responded with Jay Harris delivering a high ball into the Rovers box, but we couldn’t get a red shirt on the end of it, as it bounced on the edge of the six-yard box.

Artell body checked Rodgers to concede a free-kick 25-yards out, but Bradley Jordan's kick sailed high over the Wrexham bar.

Rovers right back Eddie Oshodi was constantly in the action and on 38 minutes, got on the end of a Barry corner and heading inches wide at the back post!

Carrington's surged run to the byline and crossed deep for Hunt, but the young Scouser could only head back across goal with no support to help out.

Then moments later it was the turn of Dean Keates to get into the box, but he fired over a cross that was a bit too high for those arriving in the middle.

On half time Artell played a diagonal ball into the FGR area, but no one gambled as it ran across the six yard box!

Ht 1-0

Wrexham started the second half brightly, but Joe Clarke's shot from 20 yards actually struck Joe Anyinsah.

Dale Bennett then led with an arm into the back of Jay Harris' head – resulting in a free kick 20 yards out – Keates’ effort curled only inches over the crossbar with Russell struggling.

More pressure resulted in a series of corners and the travelling fans were in good voice as they could see the players lifting the pace. Then Theo Bailey-Jones crossed neatly in from the right and Oshodi could only head behind for another corner.

FGR's first real attack of the half came on 65 minutes and Rodgers took a bad touch on the ball when well placed.

Bailey-Jones chased his man down and blocked Bennett’s attempted clearance, which rebounded wide of the home goal from all of 20 yards out.

Harris arrived unmarked in at the back post and was only inches wide for scoring with a header. when stretching as much as he could to get on a cross from Neil Ashton.

Keeper Sam Russell is subbed just after the hour, as he was struggling with a leg injury and wasn't taking any dead ball kicks – this allowed Paul White on for his debut. Joe Clarke was also hobbling and he was replaced by Bradley Reid.

With 20 minutes to go, FGR forced a breakaway and Taylor fired narrowly across the face of the Wrexham goal.

Hunt was fouled 25 yards out and Harris’ got his effort through the home wall, but White was right behind the ball.

Young Joe Williams was then given another run out in the closing stages, when he replaced Anyinsah.

Shortly afterwards Williams forced the keeper to kick for touch and Keates fires wide when the ball came back in from the wing.

There was a late run out for ex-Red Danny Wright, as he replaced Lee Hughes with four minutes left.

After all their good work, a leveller finally arrived courtesy of a penalty on 90 minutes, when Reid was knocked off the ball by White in the box and Hunt coolly fired home in front of the travelling fans.

Two late efforts from Forest Green were off target as the Reds collected a well deserved point.

FGR: Sam Russell (Paul White 65), Jared Hodgkiss, Dale Bennett, James Norwood, Eddie Oshodi, Luke Oliver, Paul Green, Anthony Barry (Matty Taylor 70), Luke Rodgers, Lee Hughes (Danny Wright 86), Bradley Jordan.  
Subs: Jason Walker, Daniel Martin.  

Wrexham: Andy Coughlin, Mark Carrington, David Artell, Danny Livesey, Neil Ashton; Joe Clarke (Bradley Reid 67), Dean Keates, Jay Harris; Johnny Hunt, Theo Bailey-Jones, Joe Anyinsah (Joe Williams 81). 
Subs: Stephen Wright, Steve Tomassen, Rob Ogleby. 

Referee: Paul Rees (Avon) 
Attendance: 1,630 
Away: 217 

Bookings - none

    Latest Match Reports