Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 23 Nov 13 at 16:57 PM

Wrexham 2 v 0 Forest Green Rovers

Wrexham leapfrogged Forest Green Rovers in the table after an accomplished performance on a bitter afternoon at the Racecourse.

Goals from Andy Morrell (30) and Johnny Hunt (36) put the Reds in control and the result never looked in doubt from thereon in.

Rovers defender Jamie Turley was sent off for two yellow cards in three second half minutes but Wrexham failed to take advantage despite having several chances to embarrass the visitors.

Nevertheless it was yet another impressive victory for the hosts following Tuesday’s 5-1 rout at Dartford.

Rovers, who boasted ex-Reds duo Sam Russell and Danny Wright in their starting XI, started the game brightly and it was former Reds striker Wright who went close to breaking the deadlock after 12 minutes.

He rose highest to Jan Klukowski’s cross but his bullet header was superbly clawed away by Andy Coughlin.

The Reds suffered a blow just six minutes later when the stricken Brett Ormerod was replaced by Morrell after picking up an injury to his midriff.

And it was the player-manager who brought the Racecourse faithful to their feet with a goal of sheer quality in the 30thminute.

Stephen Wright picked out Rob Ogleby with a beautifully-weighted cross-field pass. The striker cut in from the right and crossed into the box where Morrell took it in his stride before unleashing a fierce volley on the turn that left Russell clutching at thin air.

With their tails up Wrexham doubled their lead six minutes later, Hunt blasting home at the third attempt following near-misses from Ogleby at the near post and Clarke via the crossbar.

Coughlin was equal to strikes from James Norwood and Klukowski before the break as Wrexham played out seven minutes added time with minimum fuss.

Rovers’ task became greater when Forest Green’s Turley headed for an early bath just 12 minutes into the second half for picking up two quick-fire yellow cards for rash challenges on Morrell.

The set-back briefly galvanised Ady Pennock’s men, however Marcus Kelly should have done better when flashing a close-range shot over from Wright’s cut-back.

Beyond that, Rovers offered very little in attack and were left ball-watching for periods as Wrexham prowled for a third goal.

For all their dominance it never came but back-to-back wins built on sound performances will give Wrexham plenty of confidence going into FA Trophy and Cup action.

Wrexham: Coughlin, S Wright, Ashton, Clarke, Harris, Ormerod (Morrell, 18), Keates, Ogleby (Cieslewicz, 72), Hunt, Artell, Carrington.
Subs: Mayebi, Creighton, Evans. 

Referee: Adam Bromley (Devon)
Attendance: 3,083 
Away: 65 

Sending Off -
Forest Green: Turley (57, second yellow) 

Bookings - 
Forest Green: Turley (55, foul), 
Bennett (75, foul)

    Latest Match Reports