Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sun 22 Dec 13 at 05:08 AM

Welling United 1-1 Wrexham

The Dragons will have returned north a little disappointed not to have taken all three points from this lively encounter at Park View Road. 

A goal apiece in the first half ensured a share of the spoils, but both teams will point to incidents which could have seen the result swing either way. 

As the match progressed during the second half, it did look that Wrexham would be the most likely winners, but an amazing let off in time added on saw the honours remain even. 

The hard work of the Welling groundstaff throughout the day was rewarded when this game got the go ahead to be played – with many matches local to the Wings being washed out. 

Facing up the slope in the first half, an early free kick by Robbie Evans was hooked on by Neil Ashton and Johnny Hunt’s diving header was flicked round a post by United keeper Lee Butcher. 

Rob Ogleby’s 20th minute effort, as he swept the ball goalwards, skimmed the Welling crossbar from an Ashton cross. 

With the team as a whole falling foul of the linesman's flag on a number of occasions, Andy Bishop suffered the same fate as he crashed home Mark Carrington's cross on 23 minutes, but despite Brett Ormerod’s discussions with the referee, he only ended up with a yellow card for his ‘efforts’. 

Then the visitors fell behind to an all too simple goal, a free kick was played in to back post and an unchallenged header from close range saw Kris Guthrie to put the Wings in front on 28 minutes – a first goal of the season for the Jersey-born striker. 

Matters only got worse moments later, as Stephen Wright limped off with a foot injury to be replaced by Leon Clowes on the half hour. 

Then our luck changed, with that unlikely goalscoring hero Johnny Hunt getting in on the action again, as lashed the ball home from the edge of the box on 37 minutes. 

It was a great finish from the Scouser, who took the ball down from a cross field pass by Joe Clarke and fired high into the top corner of the net, despite Butcher diving full length. 

The Wings were decidedly unhappy about the build-up play though, as it did look as if Clowes had committed a foul at the other end of the field, before we swept forward to equalise. 

This goal lifted the Welshmen and we continue to push forward, with our best opportunity coming in time added on at the end of the half. A corner by Hunt saw Neil Ashton glance a header goalwards that was superbly saved by Butcher on his line. 

Ht 1-1

Wrexham resumed in the same vain in he second half and a goalmouth melee on 55 minutes in the United area, saw Ogleby just unable to finish off from close range. 

Clarke then took one for the team, as he was cautioned for foul on edge of his own box, pulling his man back, but the free kick by Welling was fired wide. This also took the midfielder to five for the season and will see him miss the Boxing Day game with Alfreton Town, having played every other minute of the league season to date.

This triggered off a flurry of yellow cards, as referee Rob Whitton issued five after the break, with the action getting a little more tense. 

Jake Gallagher was next up, giving away a foul in midfield for Welling, but he only injured himself in the process and was subbed after a period of treatment on the field. 

As Wrexham pinned the home side back in their half for long periods, they won a growing number of corners, but with really testing Butcher between the Welling posts. 

Bishop was then booked for a handball, although he claimed he was pushed in the back when going to head the ball, and he too misses the Boxing Day game for reaching five yellows. 

On 69 minutes, Clarke hit a screamer from 25 yards out that visibly swerved in the air but was tipped over for a corner. The kick was delivered long and Dave Artell’s header was only inches over the bar. 

Wrexham were doing nearly all the pressing as the game entered its final stages, but they were denied by some determined defence in poor conditions as the rain continued to tumble down from the heavens. 

Yet another corner saw Artell once again in the action, but this time his header was held under the crossbar by Butcher. 

A late substitute, boss Andy Morrell then picked up a rare booking for him, when his lunge for a loose ball in midfield was deemed dangerous. 

With four minutes of added time indicated, there was a dramatic conclusion to the game in the final few seconds. Welling won a corner and as it was played in we somehow twice managed to clear off our own lines with bodies flying in directions!
The referee then immediately blew the final whistle, with the home fans hoping it was to signal a goal, rather than the end of the game.

On an afternoon when the incessant rain helped no one, credit to both sets of players for producing an exciting game to entertain those fans who had made the effort to attend on the last Saturday before Christmas. 

Welling United: Lee Butcher, De'Reece Vanderhyde, Fraser Franks, Blaine Hudson, Baily Cargill; Jake Gallagher (Doug Bergqvist 59), Lee Clarke, Harry Beautyman (Aristide Bassele 66); Ross Lafayette, Kurtis Guthrie (Luis Cumbers 63). Joe Healy. 
Subs: Jamie Turner, Conor McLaren. 

Wrexham: Andy Coughlin, Mark Carrington, Stephen Wright (Leon Clowes 31), David Artell, Neil Ashton; Joe Clarke, Robbie Evans, Johnny Hunt; Rob Ogleby, Andy Bishop (Andy Morrell 86), Brett Ormerod (Joe Anyinsah 74). 
Subs: Joslain Mayebi, Jay Colbeck. 

Referee: Robert Whitton (Essex) 

Bookings - 
Gallagher (59, foul), Hudson (65, foul) 
Wrexham:Ormerod (23, dissent), Clarke (49, foul), Bishop (62, handball), Morrell (90, foul).

    Latest Match Reports