Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Fri 13 Sep 13 at 22:05 PM

Wrexham 2 v 0 Luton Town

Wrexham got their season well and truly back on track with a comfortable victory against Luton on Friday night.

Andy Bishop opened his Reds account with an assured close-range volley after 21 minutes before Johnny Hunt (57) wrapped up the points.

Alex Wall was sent late on for the Hatters, who could have been beaten by more had Wrexham shown more composure in the final third.

Andy Morrell welcomed back several players. David Artell was thrust into the heart of defence after signing in midweek, whilst the other new face, Mark Carrington had to settle for a place on the bench.

Stephen Wright and Jay Harris returned to the fold after returning from injury and suspension respectively whilst there was a first start of the season for Theo Bailey-Jones.

Played under lights for the first time at the Racecourse this season, Wrexham started the game brightly. Harris went on a 15 yard run unchallenged and dinked a lovely pass into Andy Bishop. However, he was crowded out by three white shirts as Luton quickly showed why they had five clean sheets in seven outings so far.

Chances were at a premium but then came the breakthrough. Neil Ashton wrapped his foot around a deep cross from the left and Bishop ghosted in at the back post before cushioning his volley over an exposed Mark Tyler.

Wrexham began playing with the sort of confidence and fluency which were in abundance last season with Bailey-Jones proving a real handful down the left flank.

Shortly before the break Luton got a couple of sniffs of goal. First Joslain Mayebi did well to save at the feet of Paul Benson after Wright’s under-hit back-pass presented the chance. Then Mark Cullen shot straight at the Wrexham goalkeeper after he was played in by Jake Howells.

Ten minutes into the second half Wrexham should have doubled their lead but Joe Clarke headed against the base of the post from point-blank range. It looked easier to score.

The Reds did manage it two minutes later however when Hunt glanced home at the back-post after Brett Ormerod had nodded it into his path from an inch-perfect Bailey-Jones cross.

Hatters substitute Alex Wall lasted barely 20 minutes before he was sent off for a mindless stamp on Ashton, having initially caught the defender in the face with a high boot, after Wrexham enjoyed periods of endless passing around their hapless opponents.

Wrexham should have taken advantage and snatched a third or even a fourth goal, but the result never looked at doubt after Hunt’s settler.

Wrexham: (4-3-3): Mayebi; Tomassen, S Wright (Ntame 46), Artell, Ashton; Clarke, Harris, Hunt; Bailey-Jones (Cieslewicz, 72); Bishop, Ormerod. 
Subs: Coughlin (GK), Morrell, Carrington.

Referee: Darren Handley (Lancs) 
Attendance: 3,122 
Away: 190 

Sending Off -
Luton: Wall (80, dangerous play) 

Bookings -
Wrexham: Tomassen (37, foul) 
Luton: Smith (62, foul), Henry (78, foul), Parry (83, foul)

    Latest Match Reports