Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 30 Nov 13 at 20:02 PM

Wrexham survived a late scare to get their FA Trophy defence up and running.

Just as they did in the 2-0 win over Forest Green Rovers last week, Johnny Hunt (17) and Andy Morrell (40) scored the goals that set Wrexham on the long road back to Wembley.

Although they’ll have to perform better if they are to reach the capital again after Gresley, who ply their trade three steps below the Skrill Premier, made a fist of things and matched their opponents for long spells.

Gresley substitute Royce Turville set up a tense finish when he netted in the 83rd minute, but Wrexham held on to secure a place in hat for the next round.

Reds boss Morrell made wholesale changes to his starting XI with just three players included from the side that defeated Rovers.

Goalkeeper Andy Coughlin, Mark Carrington and Hunt were retained whilst the player-manager decided to give himself a run-out following his impressive display in the last league outing. He handed the captain’s armband to Penycae 18-year-old Rob Evans.

Sam Grice got the sizeable throng of Gresley supporters off their feet when he fizzed a volley over the bar after seven minutes.

However for all their early running the visitors were behind ten minutes later when Hunt latched onto Adrian Cieslewicz’s clever pass and drove a low shot past on-loan Derby County stopper Mats Morch.

Kieran O’Connell should have put the Moatmen back on level terms almost immediately but he pulled his volley well wide from close-range.

Five minutes before the break Wrexham were in control. Morrell diverted Mark Carrington’s corner into the net for his second goal in as many games.

Wrexham momentarily switched off from the re-start but were indebted to Coughlin denying Eric Graves with his legs at the far post.

Kyle Parle – on for Mark Creighton whose game ended prematurely after just 20 minutes, should have made a 3-0 but he volleyed straight into the arms of Morch.

Gresley could afford to be bolder going forward in the second half and it almost paid off just three minutes in, however Coughlin thwarted Jordan Nadat with an assured block.

Morrell went for glory with a 52nd minute volley but power over precision saw the ball sail into the kop.

Cieslewicz opted for the reverse a few minutes later when his curled shot went the wrong side of the far post as Wrexham looked to put the game out of Gresley’s reach.

Jay Colbeck scuffed a shot across the face of goal and the missed chances looked costly when Gresley reduced the arrears with seven minutes left when Turville glanced home Paolo Piliero’s free-kick.

Turville had a great chance to force a replay minutes later but he was denied by a wonderful last-ditch tackle from Kyle Parle.

Wrexham: Coughlin; Hunt, Clowes, Creighton (Parle, 20), Tomassen; Colbeck, Evans, Carrington; Cieslewicz, Morrell, Bailey-Jones. 
Subs: Mayebi, Ashton, Clarke, Ogleby. 

Gresley: Morch, Roome, Guy, Guest, Barrett, Graves, O'Connell, Grice (Turville), Nadat (Lyons), Spencer, Piliero (Strzyewski 84). 
Subs: Harrison, Austin. 

Richard Wigglesworth (Yorkshire) 
Attendance: 1,257 
Away: 224 

Booked - 
Wrexham: Clowes (79, ungentlemanly), Evans (83, foul) 
Gresley: Guy (23, foul)

    Latest Match Reports