Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sun 15 Dec 13 at 05:01 AM

Luton Town 2-0 Wrexham

Just how do you go about summing up a disappointing display by an experienced side against a Luton team that showed 10 changes from their last league match?

A goal in each half saw Luton Reserves ease their way in to the third round at the expense of a Wrexham side who never really got going and only forced one or maybe two moments of concern in the home box over the 90 minutes.

It was nice movement by Mark Cullen to lose his marker at a corner after quarter of an hour that set the Hatters on their way and the deal was closed a similar time from the end, thanks to an own goal.

The game hardy got off to a stirring start, as the visitors seemed happy to sit back and allow Luton's young braves to dictate the play.

Contributing to the Hatters attacks by giving the ball away cheaply on numerous occasions and allowing the corner count to quickly get into double figures.

Typical of which saw a bit of sloppy play by Jay Harris give ball away in midfield and it needed a lovely saving tackle from Neil Ashton to whip the ball off Alex Wall’s toes, as the big strike bore down on the Wrexham goal.

A sweeping run by Shaun Whalley took him 50 yards up field, but when well placed his shot from the angle was straight into the midriff of Andy Coughlin.

The Hatters took the lead on 15 minutes, when Mark Cullen peeled off at the back post and was given room to get a free header that looped over several defenders on the line and drop under the crossbar.

Again on 22 minutes, we failed to track back and Ian Rees saw his shot deflected onto a post by Steve Wright's desperate tackle, as we were fortunate not to be a second goal down, after a great run by the midfielder.

Left sided striker Cullen found space for a shot from the angle, which ran just wide of our far post on 26 minutes.

This one-way traffic continued with Whalley wasting a three-on-two break as his shot was blocked and Pelly Mpanzy's follow up from 20-yards was directed straight at Coughlin.

The half time whistle came as a relief to the Welshmen and gave manager Andy Morrell the chance to talk to his troops.

Ht 1-0

Shortly after the restart, a Whalley break and cross for Wall saw a linesman's offside flag deny the big man, as he fired home from close range.

There was then a booking for Harris, as he conceded right on the corner of our box, being fortunate not to give away a penalty.

The first change came in the hour mark as Rob Ogleby was sent on Joe Anyinsah.

A second yellow for Harris saw the midfielder head to the dressing room on 65 minutes, to start a two-match ban, as he committed an unnecessary late challenge in midfield.

On 71 minutes, Andy Morrell was on for Johnny Hunt.

Wrexham were actually more of a threat when down to 10-men, as a Clarke corner was met by the head of Bishop, who got some power into the effort, but the ball flew wide of the near post.

Our final substitute saw Robbie Evans on for Dean Keates with 16 minutes remaining.

Then on 77 minutes the game was put out of reach of the visitors, as a Whalley corner into the six-yard box came off the legs of an unsuspecting Neil Ashton and into his own goal, as he tussled with Anthony Charles - which about summed up the day!

Our best moment of the game saw a Carrington free kick headed over the home keeper by Ashton, but then headed off the Luton line by Charles!

We had no one else to blame for this defeat but ourselves.

Luton Town: Elliott Justham, Anthony Charles, Jake Howells, Mark Cullen, Pelly Ruddock Mpanzu, Joe Davis, Shaun Whalley, Matt Robinson, Brett Longden, Ian Rees, Alex Wall (Zane Banton 85).
Subs: Craig King, Charlie Smith, Arel Amu, Tinsahe Chabata.

Wrexham: Andy Coughlin, Mark Carrington, Stephen Wright, Leon Clowes, Neil Ashton; Joe Clarke, Jay Harris, Dean Keates (Robbie Evans 74); Joe Anyinsah (Rob Ogleby 60), Andy Bishop, John Hunt (Andy Morrell 71).
Subs: Joslain Mayebi, Steve Tomassen.

Referee: Darren England (S Yorkshire)
Attendance: 1,617

Sending Off -

Wrexham: Harris (65, 2nd yellow)

Bookings -
Luton: Longden (foul)
Harris (55, foul)

    Latest Match Reports