Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 28 Jan 14 at 23:03 PM

Reds Defy The Elements To Take Points

Wrexham left it late to see off Tamworth as they made hard work of victory for the second game running. 

Andy Bishop headed the Reds into a 12th minute lead but after the Lambs had twice struck the woodwork it was left to Johnny Hunt (90) to seal the points for Andy Morrell’s men, who are five points adrift of the play-offs. 

Bishop missed a penalty prior to Hunt’s slick finish and spot-kick duties might soon be bestowed onto new signing Elliott Durrell, who was ineligible to play pending international clearance. 

Just as they had done at Southport Wrexham controlled the game for long spells but chance after chance went begging. Andy Coughlin’s goal lived a charmed life as Nick Chadwick and Justin Richards rattled the woodwork in either half respectively. 

Playing under open heavens Tamworth got to grips with the soaked surface quickly. Jack Evans’ cross to the far post found Richards but he blazed over despite having time to control and pick his spot. 

Just seconds after Lambs keeper Cameron Belford had denied Bishop with a wonderful goal-line stop he was powerless to prevent the Reds striker from getting off the mark. 

Neil Ashton hanged a ball to the back post and Bishop powered a header into the corner of the net. 

Joe Anyinsah wasted a great chance to double his side’s lead six minutes later. He thrust the ball beyond Belford’s reach but, with a backtracking Lambs defender taking up position on the goal-line he went for glory, but his shot faded wide of the left post. 

The striker was forced off through injury after 24 minutes with Theo Bailey-Jones asked to fill the void. 

Wrexham continued to boss the game for sustained periods but all the possession nearly came unstuck on the stroke of half-time. 

Chadwick found himself one-on-one with Andy Coughlin but his rasping shot cannoned off the underside of the bar to safety. 

Barely five minutes of the second half had elapsed when Wrexham produced a fluid, probing attack. Jay Harris fed Mark Carrington down the right and his cross was met first time by Hunt, who swivelled his body to direct the ball towards the net only for Jack Evans to hack clear. 

Shots from Carrington and Bishop gave Belford something meaningful to save before Joe Clarke fired into the keeper’s arms just seconds after his initial shot was tipped onto the bar. 

Clarke, a central figure throughout, induced a foul from Lambs skipper Wayne Thomas that led to the 82nd minute penalty. 

Bishop stepped up but his low shot was superbly beaten away by Belford low to his right. 

With two minutes remaining Wrexham hearts were in mouths when Richards was allowed to pull the trigger from the edge of the box. With Coughlin beaten the ball crashed against the upright. 

Wrexham sensed it was going to be their night and so it proved when Hunt side-footed home the decider on 90 minutes after Bishop cut the ball back from the by-line. 

Wrexham: Coughlin, Carrington, Artell, Tomassen, Ashton; Clarke, Keates, Harris; Anyinsah (Bailey-Jones, 24), Bishop, Hunt. 
Subs: Mayebi, Parle, Evans, Thornton. 

Referee: Karl Evans (Lancs) 
Attendance: 2,160 
Away: 23 

Bookings -
Wrexham: Artell (60, foul) 
Tamworth: Kerry (85, foul) 

    Latest Match Reports