Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Thu 23 Jan 14 at 05:01 AM

A Decent Point At The Abbey

It was not a night of exciting football for those that headed to the Abbey Stadium, with chances at a premium and neither keeper really tested. 

Both sides were hoping for a win to keep their respective challenges on course, so one point each will have hardly have got the two managers jumping for joy.

Although for Andy Morrell the return coach journey will probably have been the better, as he saw his side lift themselves after that disappointing defeat to Dartford.

The defence did have a game to be pleased about with Danny Livesey and Steve Tomassen looking very comfortable in the centre of things, ably supported by the hard working pair of Neil Ashton and Mark Carrington.

Behind them keeper Andy Coughlin could hardly have expected to see so little of the ball!

The first bit of quality from either side saw Ryan Donaldson outpace Mark Carrington on 25 minutes, to fire a cross from the United left, but no one in the middle was close enough to get a touch in front of the Wrexham goal.

Then Ryan Bird had half a yard on Steve Tomassen, but the young defender did really well to win the ball and a free kick at the same time.

Elliott Durrell fired in a free kick from the left and Bird was happy to head behind for a corner. The new boy again delivered from the left and this time Joe Anyinsah fumbled the ball behind at the near post.

The best effort of the half fell to Carrington from a Durrell free kick, his shot was goal bound but Josh Coulson reacted quickly to head away, the ball fall on the edge of the home box and as Durrell closed in his follow up shot went over the home cross bar.

United looked dangerous on the break down the wings and a couple of inviting crosses from Donaldson flew across the goal, but with little danger of an Amber shirt closing in to force a save out of Andy Coughlin.

Ht 0-0

A change at the break for the home side saw Andy Pugh introduced for Ryan Bird, with the formation switching to 4-5-1.

On 51 minutes, Elliott chested the ball down for Luke Berry 20 yards out, but his first time effort was pulled several yards wide of Coughlin’s right hand post.

A booking for Roberts as he tugged on Ashton’s shirt.

A long clearance from Tomassen on 61 minutes was well collected by Clarke to Harris and his cut inside saw the Scouser try his luck with our first effort on target that reached the home keeper.

Our first sub came 63 minutes with Johnny Hunt replacing Durrell in straight swap.

A swift Wrexham break saw Clarke slip a pass through for Anyinsah on the right, but the striker’s shot went across the face of Norris’ goal and passed the far post.

United defender Roberts put himself into a great position coming down the right but the fullback must have had a rush of blood and fired high into the night sky.

On 80 minutes, Wrexham then returned the favour as Bishop and Anyinsah ran into a high ball on the edge of the six yard box, but could only force it behind when a goal looked easier to score!

Wrexham’s second change saw Rob Ogleby on for Anyinsah with seven minutes left.

Harris got himself booked in the final minutes for a foul on Donaldson, on the side of the Wrexham box, but the Reds survived the pressure that followed.

Harris had a late chance from 15 yards but with the goal in front of him he dragged his effort wide.

Then the last action of the game was Ogleby’s effort carrying over the target – summing the game up.

Cambridge United: Will Norris, Kevin Roberts, Ian Miller, Josh Coulson, Greg Taylor; Luke Berry, Tom Champion, Liam Hughes (Nathan Arnold 65), Ryan Donaldson; Tom Elliott, Ryan Bird (Andy Pugh 46).
Subs: John Sullivan, Richard Tait, Mitchell Austin.

Wrexham: Andy Coughlin, Mark Carrington, Steve Tomassen, Danny Livesey, Neil Ashton; Joe Clarke, Dean Keates (Brett Ormerod 90), Jay Harris; Joe Anyinsah (Rob Ogleby 83), Andy Bishop, Elliott Durrell (Johnny Hunt 63).
Subs: David Artell, Kevin Thornton.

Referee: Craig Hicks (Surrey)
Attendance: 2,231
Away: 108

Cambridge: Roberts (58, foul)
Wrexham: Harris (88, foul) 

    Latest Match Reports