Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 18 Feb 14 at 22:02 PM

Reds Do Double Over United

A goal in each half was enough to do the double over the struggling Bulls. 

We took the lead after just 58 seconds, when a cross from Rob Ogleby was deflected into his own net by visiting defender Luke Graham. 

Then after the team had missed a host of chances Mark Carrington fired home at the back on 63 minutes to stretch our lead. 

Having taken the lead so early on, the Reds pushed forward and really should have scored again when within a few minutes both Ogleby and Danny Livesey went close with efforts. 

Indeed, Livesey was up fro another set piece and saw an effort hit the United crossbar. 

Next it was Johnny Hunt's turn to try and claim his 10th goal of the season, when he attacked down the left and fired a shot across keeper Dan Lloyd-Weston, but watched on as it narrowly missed the far post. 

On 15 minutes skipper Dean Keates arrived in the box to fire a shot from 12 yards that was blocked, while Carrington was then on hand to set up Jat Harris, but the midfielder stabbed his effort just over the target. 

It was nearly half an hour into the match before Andy Coughlin was called upon to make his first save, gong down low to his right to deny a long range effort from Danny Walker. 

We were then fortunate to keep our lead in tact on 35 minutes when in a scramble Hunt popped up to get his body in the way of a shot that seemed odds on bringing Hereford an equaliser, but they had to settle for a corner. 

Wrexham were quickly back on the attack with a turn and shot from Carrington that was only inches wide, while right on half time Brett Ormerod had a wonderful chance of sweeping home Hunt's inviting cross, but got the ball tied up in his laces. 

The second half continued with the home side looking the more dangerous, but still with only a narrow lead, although two long range efforts from Harris went close. The first was straight at Lloyd-Weston, but the second crashed onto his crossbar before spinning up and landing on the roof of the net.| 

On the hour, a free kick into the United box was quickly cleared by the visitors and as Walker made progress on their left, he cut inside two challenges to fire an effort goalwards from 18 yards that Coughlin got his body behind to block. 

We finally grabbed that all important second goal just three minutes later, as a move down the left saw Keates fire over a low cross that evaded all but Carrington arriving unmarked at the back post to sweep the ball home. 

There was a rare appearance in the Hereford area for Neil Ashton on 73 minutes, when he brushed aside a challenge before firing goalwards and forcing a save from Lloyd-Weston. 

With seven minutes left, Ormerod's low shot from distance was blocked by the Hereford keeper, but he couldn't hold the effort and as the ball spilled forward Ogleby was only just short of making him pay further. 

As the game moved into it's final few minutes, there was a brief appearance for 16-year-old Danny Reynolds following his debut at Braintree a week ago. 

Although we didn't lift ourselves up the table any further with this result remaining in 17h spot, it did extend the gap between ourselves and a relegation spot to 12 points, while reducing the distance to the play-offs to eight! 

Wrexham: Andy Coughlin, Mark Carrington, Stephen Wright, Danny Livesey, Neil Ashton; Joe Clarke, Jay Harris, Dean Keates (Robbie Evans 84), Johnny Hunt; Rob Ogleby (Joe Anyinsah 90), Brett Ormerod (Danny Reynolds 90+2). 
Subs: Joslain Mayebi, Steve Tomassen. 

Hereford United: 
Dan Lloyd-Weston, Dominic Collins, Rodney McDonald, Luke Graham, Chris Bush, Jamie Edge (Cory Williams 66), Kingsley James (Rob Purdie 81), Chris Sharp, Danny Walker, Jon Brown, Sam Smith (Danny Pilkington 79).
Subs: Kyle Moore, Billy Murphy. 

Ben Toner (Lancs) 
Attendance: 2,056 
Away: 119 

    Latest Match Reports