Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 09 Aug 14 at 22:53 PM

Reds Win Season Opener

Kevin Wilkin got off a wining start in the new Vanarama Conference as Wes York hit a pair against the Darts. 

He put us in front with a header in the first half, before the Darts levelled with their own header from Tom Bradbrook – but the former Nuneaton winger was in the right place 12 minutes from time to poke home the winner. 

The Reds were first on the attack, as a Jay Harris shot was blocked and then a follow up header cleared away for a corner. 

Shortly afterwards a Blaine Hudson header carried back across the face of the goal and Elliott Durrell's snap shot was saved on the line by Welshman Jason Brown in the home goal.

A long punt over the top on 19 minutes, saw striker Tom Bradbrook beat the Wrexham offside trap and with Dan Bachmann staying at home, the Dartford man was in on goal, but he could only fire into the crowd. 

On 27 minutes they went close again, when a header from Andy Pugh was blocked and the follow up shot was deflected, spinning away for a corner, despite Bachmann’s best efforts to keep it in play. 

Then came the first goal of the afternoon as a Connor Jennings cross from the left wing carried to the back post, where Wes York did well to make sure his effort got over the line with Brown diving to try and make the save. 

The home side didn't lie down and Lee Noble hammered a low shot from 18 yards that was only inches wide of Bachmann's left hand post! 

Dartford got back on level terms just six minutes into the second half, when Tom Bradbrook headed home from a corner. The ball was kicked back into from on the line, but the linesman on the far side flagged to indicate it had crossed the line and the goal duly awarded. 

It was a very even game as play switched from one goal mouth to the other and York sent over an inviting cross from the left which Moult got his head onto, He was just unable to get on top of the ball and his effort carried over the cross bar. 

Next Wrexham moved the ball well down the right and when a pass was laid back into the path of Jennings, his effort carried high over the bar. 

There was a booking for Harris on 65 minutes, when he held up a Dartford attack in his own half by bringing down his marker. Although you had to feel for the midfielder, who had been the subject of two robust fouls in the first half, when no action was taken against the home player on either occasion. 

The Reds restored their lead on 78 minutes, when a lofted pass forward by Moult dropped nicely for York to hold off a defender and steer the ball past the stranded Brown – much to the delight of the travelling fans. 

This lead to a nervous last 12 minutes and from a Dartford corner the ball comes out to Green, whose shot from 20 yards was not far off target. 

Then Bachmann was then called on to collect a high cross through traffic and he proved to be a commanding figure in the Reds' goal. 

Four added minutes were indicated, just as Jennings fired a shot low across the face of the home goal that ran out for a goal kick. 

Thankfully we managed to see out the final moments to claim our first opening day away victory since winning at Exeter City back in 1988.  

Dartford: Brown, Burns, Mitchel-King, McAuley, Green, Collier, Noble, Elliot Bradbrook, Daley(Sweeney 83); Tom Bradbrook (Crawford 62), Pugh (Harris 72). 
Subs: Cornhill, Hayes. 

Wrexham: Bachmann, Carrington, Smith, Hudson, Ashton; Durrell (Bailey-Jones 69), Clarke, Harris, York; Jennings, Moult. 
Subs: Coughlin, Stephens, Evans, Rushton. 

Referee: David Rock (Hertford) 
Attendance: 1,561 
Away: 300+ 

Booked -
Wrexham Harris (65, foul) 

    Latest Match Reports