Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 05 Jul 14 at 06:23 AM

After falling behind to an early Alfreton goal, the Dragons hit back with three first half goals.

Wrexham went a goal behind after a series of defensive mistakes allowed recent signing Joe Ironside to score his first goal for Alfreton after only five minutes.

Both Blaine Hudson and Mark Carrington failed to deal with danger and Ironside had the time to fire home from about 12 yards.

Full back Bradley Wood was booked for a foul on Wes York, pushing the Wrexham man in the back, but the resulting free kick into the home box was easily headed away.

The visitors were level on 14 minutes with another poor defensive mistake, as Louis Moult blocked a clearance from their new keeper Cameron Dawson, as the ball spun away to the right the striker chased after it and fired home.

An open game - as neither side can really get on top. Alfreton get a free kick 30 yards out but Manny Smith clears.

Harris effort from 25 yards curled in on target but the big keeper went down to his left to gather. Moult then stood close by to the keeper and seemed to get him flustered as his clearance went straight out of play.

We pushed in front on 27 minutes after Moult won a corner on the left. This allowed Elliott Durrell to deliver a cross deep and big Blaine Hudson rose unchallenged at the back post to hammer his header home. Poetry in motion and the former Cambridge United man was equally delighted.

Durrell denied our third when forced wide after going round the goalkeeper and Alfreton threw bodies in to deny him.

Got to be careful through as Joe Clarke slipped allowing Dan Bradley to hammer a low cross into the box!

Another half chance for the home side as Coughlin palmed away a high cross and Carrington's clearance left him needing treatment.

Following a second booking for Alfreton, Wrexham restarted with a free kick down the left to York down the left to the line - and crossed into the middle for Connor Jennings to stab the ball home from close range for our third goal.

Next Harris tried to get his head to a York cross with a great lead, although he failed miserably by about a foot, but couldn’t fault his ambition!

Into added time and there was series of Wrexham corners from the left, Blaine got on the end of one and won another flag kick on the opposite side of the pitch.

Ht: 1-3

York in on the keeper but under pressure his shot is at the stopper - nice through ball by Harris to set him up.

There was a booking for Jennings, when he clashed with Sheridan in midfield.

Blaine tried a back heel from an Ashton corner, before Clarke showed some great tracking back to deny Sheridan the ball.

On the hour Ironside side footed wide at the near post when he got on the end of a right wing cross from Bradley. Then Clayton got his head to a corner, but couldn’t direct it on target.

Jennings then won a free kick on the right side of the Alfreton box, but Ashton's free kick was just over the cross bar from a tight angle.

Moult was not happy with his treatment by Luke Graham after the ball was played away, but his protests only end up with his booking along with Graham.

As the rain started to come down on 74 minutes, Paul Clayton got in a good header from a Tom Shaw free kick to beat Coughlin all ends up.

On 81 minutes, Kevin Wilkin made his first substitution with Theo Bailey-Jones replacing Durrell.

Following a free kick, Shaw forced a great save from Coughlin and Hicks then fired the rebound wide, although it could well have struck a post before it crashed against the advertising horarings.

Bailey-Jones was caught offside when Jennings chipped a delightful ball through, before Moult's cross into the box aimed at York lacked the legs to reach the winger.

Central defender Graham then picked up a second yellow card for an obvious body check on York, which was a disaster just waiting to happen for the Alfreton man, who looked like he was on borrowed time after a number of fouls. 
Into added time and Nick Rushton was sent on for York to waste a few more precious seconds.

The final whistle followed on shortly afterwards, much to the relief of the travelling fans who were finally able to celebrate a successful afternoon.

Alfreton Town: Dawson, Wood, Rowe-Turner, Graham, Smith (Hicks 46), Clayton, Bradley (Shaw 71), Howell, Sheridan (Stevenson 65), Keane, Ironside. 
Subs: Courtney, Gray. 

Wrexham: Coughlin, Carrington, Smith, Hudson, Ashton; Durrell (Bailey-Jones 81), Clarke, Harris; York (Rushton 90+2), Jennings, Moult. 
Subs: Bachmann, Stephens, Evans. 

Referee: Simon Bennett (Staffs) 
Attendance: 916 
Away: 396 

Sending Off -
Alfreton: Graham (second yellow, 90) 

Bookings -
Alfreton: Wood (foul 8), Keane (foul 44), Graham (70) 
Wrexham: Jennings (foul 49), Moult (70)


    Latest Match Reports