Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Mon 25 Aug 14 at 17:23 PM

Wrexham were held to their first draw of the season by unbeaten Macclesfield in a topsy-turvy Bank Holiday encounter. 

Waide Fairhurst (40), with the aid of an Andy Coughlin error fired the visitors ahead but the lead barely lasted five minutes as Connor Jennings returned to haunt his former side with a close-range header. 

Blaine Hudson (61) followed Jennings' lead by scoring for the second successive game but Paul Turnbull (74) ensured the Silkmen's unbeaten start to the season continued with the third headed goal of an end-to-end encounter. 

Wrexham boss Wilkin wanted a fast start from his side and he got it. Louis Moult's mazy run from the kick off gave the Silkmen defence an early headache before Wes York and Moult peppered the goal with wayward shots. 

However, they failed to sustain the pressure and Macclesfield asked questions from several corners as the hosts conspired to give away possession.

After Blaine Hudson's goal-bound header was half-cleared Rhys Taylor made a smart stop from Elliott Durrell's fierce volley. 

York sprung to life after 30 minutes, his angled runs towards goal from the left coaxed two defenders towards him before Taylor ensured his shot whistled narrowly past the wrong side of the post.

The visitors took the lead five minutes before the break. Fairhurst glided along the edge of the box and his low shot bounced off a sheepish Coughlin into the net.

However, Jennings - the scourge of so many defences for Macclesfield last season restored parity five minutes later with a stooping header from Neil Ashton's pinpoint cross. The youngster showed respect to John Askey's men by refusing to celebrate as he was swamped by his beaming team-mates.

Rob Evans replaced Jay Harris for the start of the second half, of which the first ten minutes remained tight until Moult dragged a shot just wide of Taylor's right post.

Wrexham edged ahead just past the hour - Hudson heading in Durrell's delicious free-kick after Luke Waterfall had fouled Moult.

Fairhurst lashed a wild shot over the bar when presented with a gift from 15 yards before Wilkin threw on fit-again Andy Bishop with 20 minutes remaining. 

Five minutes later and Macclesfield were level. Waide Fairhurst was allowed to get his cross in and Turnbull's header arced over Coughlin. 

Adriano Moke went perilously close to restoring Macclefield's lead with a curling effort before Moult and Durrell failed to test Taylor. 

In added time Smith flung himself at a corner but it went wide as honours ended even.

Wrexham: Coughlin: Carrington, Ashton (cpt), Smith, Hudson, Clarke, Durrell (Bishop, 69), Harris (Evans, 46), Moult, York, Jennings.
Subs: Bachmann, Bailey-Jones, Stephens. 

Macclesfield: Taylor, Halls, Waterfall, Pilkington, Barrow; Moke, Gonzalez Diaz (Rouse 63), Lewis, Turnbull, Gnahoua; Fairhurst, 
Subs: Lavelle-Moore, Cowan, Haining, Branagan.

Referee: Karl Evans (Lancs) 
Attendance: 4,012 
Away: 282 

Bookings -
Wrexham: Jennings (90, foul), Moult (90, foul) 
Macclesfield: Waterfall (60, foul), Gnahoua (75, foul), Fairhurst (86', foul) 

    Latest Match Reports