Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 05 Jul 14 at 06:24 AM

Wrexham came up short at the Memorial Ground and surrendered their 100% away record, as Andy Monkhouse’s first header was enough to swing the game to Bristol Rovers. 

To add to the bad news, full back Mark Carrington saw red just after the hour after diving in on Monkhouse and earning himself a three-game ban into the process. 

Rovers created the opening chance on 11 minutes, when a low cross from their left was met by Matty Taylor, but Blaine Hudson was quickly across to block the effort for a corner. 

It was quarter of an hour before we forced our first attack o note and a pull back by Wes York was cleared behind by a defender to force the corner. Although it didn’t come to anything as it was easily cleared at the near post. 

On the half hour, Tom Parkes was booked for Rovers following a foul, but probably more for back chatting. Quickly followed by Hudson for a foul at the other end. 

Rovers won a corner from the free kick and when Martin sent in the cross, Andy Monkhouse was highest to head home the opening goal on 33 minutes. 

It was a feat he almost repeated minutes later, but this time it was more of a glancing header that went wide of the target, despite the lunging boot of a striker looking to steer it home. 

Skipper Lee Mansell was then book for fouling Moult, but our free kick lacked the power to worry Mildenhall in the home goal. 

A couple of minutes before the break and Rovers had a let off as Johnny Hunt's effort hit the keeper on the line from close range, after York’s header back across goal fell kindly for him. 

Ht 1-0 

Rovers were quickly on the attack and won a corner that Martin played short before hitting the return high into the Wrexham area – which saw Bachmann come through bodies to punch clear. 

Taylor booked after a foul on Smith, under the totting up procedure. 

From the left flank a Mark Carrington free kick into Rovers box saw Smith head on, but it was put behind for a corner. This was swung across the box, but through everyone for a throw in on the far side of the pitch. 

Then on 57 minutes, central defender Parkes had a free header over the Wrexham crossbar from just six yards after a Martin corner was swung in from our left. 

Just past the hour and Carrington was red carded for a serious foul on Monkhouse. 

Bachmann made a great save from Cunnington in the box as Rovers look to turn the screw. 

With 20 minutes to go a double substation for Wrexham, as Jay Harris and Elliott Durrell went on for Robbie Evans and Louis Moult respectively. 

The Reds were looking for a way back into the game and pushing forward whenever they could, York flashed a shot wide on the spin, after being fed in by Clarke on 76 minutes. 

Martin then had space on the left and as the ball spun across to him, he hammered an angled drive off the nearest Wrexham upright. 

Plenty of pressure from Wrexham, as Rovers keep nine men behind the ball, but chances were hard to find. 

Bristol Rovers: Mildenhall, Brown, Lockyer, Parkes, Mansell, Taylor, Trotman, Martin (Gosling 84), Monkhouse, Sinclair, Cunnington. 
Subs: Puddy, Clarke, White, Balanta 

Wrexham: Bachmann, Carrington, Hudson, Smith, Ashton; York, Evans (Harris 70), Clarke, Hunt; Moult (Durrell 70), Jennings. 
Subs: White, Bailey-Jones, Bishop. 

Referee: Lee Swabey (Devon) 
Attendance: 5,082 
Away: 230 

Sending Off -
Wrexham: Carrington (63, serious foul) 

Bookings -
Rovers: Parkes (foul), Mansell (37 foul), Taylor (51, foul) 
Wrexham: Hudson (foul), Jennings (67, not retreating)

    Latest Match Reports