Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 05 Jul 14 at 06:24 AM

A deflected 86th minute winner from Joe Clarke spared Wrexham's blushes as they struggled to overcome 10-man Welling United.

Harry Beautyman (34) fired the visitors ahead and looked like they had stolen the points until Louis Moult (84) levelled.

Then Clarke's speculative shot found the net with the aid of a United body to secure what looked an unlikely victory for long periods.

Having been unsuccessful in an appeal to overturn Mark Carrington's red card in the midweek defeat at Bristol Rovers, Reds boss Kevin Wilkin turned to young Ross White. 

However, the Dragons were bolstered by the return of Jay Harris to the starting XI after recovering from injury. 

Wrexham started the game with purpose but Wes York could not match his mazy run with the finish, as he steered his shot wide. 

Then there was nothing of note until the 27th minute, when Neil Ashton was forced to head Jon Nouble's header off the line after Daniel Bachmann was literally beaten to the punch in the air. 

The visitors were clearly growing in confidence and their tails were well and truly up, when they broke the deadlock after 34 minutes.

Harris's pass was blocked and pounced upon by Tobi Sho-Silva, who burst to the byline before cutting the ball back for Beautyman to side-foot the ball into the corner of the net.

Wrexham boss Wilkin made an early change with Elliott Durrell replacing Hunt before he watched in horror as Tyrone Marsh almost doubled his side's lead with a flashing volley from 20 yards.

Then a frantic solo minute of added time saw Bachmann save from Beautyman before Jon Henly denied York from an acute angle, as Wrexham tried desperately to redress the balance of a woeful first half display. 

Wrexham should have been boosted by the 60th minute dismissal of Nouble, for a second bookable offence, yet they continued to lack cohesion and ideas.

To their credit, the home side did not let their frustrations get the better of them and they levelled when Moult showed his predatory instincts to turn in York's cut-back with just six minutes left.

Two minutes later and the Racecourse was in raptures as Clarke's hopeful shot took a huge deflection off Jamal Fyfield to find the net with goalkeeper Henly already going the other way. 

Wrexham expertly ran down five minutes of added time to avoid successive defeats for the first time this season. 

Wrexham: Bachmann: Ashton (cpt), Smith, Hudson (Bailey-Jones, 71), Clarke, Harris, Moult, York, White, Jennings (Bishop, 77), Hunt (Durrell, 38)
Subs: Tomassen, Evans.

Referee: Paul Rees
Attendance: 2,857
Away: 28

    Latest Match Reports