Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 07 Oct 14 at 22:25 PM

In the end neither will have been happy with a point, but after so maych was crammed into an exciting 90 minutes at the Shay, it was probably about right. 

Halifax took an early lead and were only pegged back when they were reduced to 10-men in the second half.  Despite Louis Moult levelling matters we let our guard down to concede within 60 seconds. 

Wrexham didn’t give up and grabbed a second from that man Moult again with just seven minutes to go. 

We scored twice, but it could have been double that number, had Matt Glennon not been in such sparkling form for the Shaymen. 

From the first whistle the Reds went at their hosts and pinned them back in their own box. A series of attacks saw the ball fly around the home box, with a Louis Moult header forcing a flying save out of Matt Glennon. 

Then against the run of play in those early stages, the Shaymen made their first venture over the halfway line on six minutes and took the lead through Danny Schofield. 

The midfielder latched onto a long ball down the left and coming in on the angle steadied himself before firing across Andy Coughlin and inside the far post. 

It certainly too the wind out of the visitors’ sails and the following 15 minutes saw the two teams trading punches without really hurting each other. 

On 22 minutes, Moult’s run down the right saw him deliver a long cross from the flank and force Kevin Roberts to head clear between two red shirts, as neither Harris nor Wes York could get close enough to the ball. 

A quick throw in from Neil Ashton, deep in the Halifax half was to the feet of Connor Jennings to first time it through for Moult to run onto and his shot from 18 yards was parried by Glennon to deny Wrexham’s leading scorer for a second time. 

Five minutes before the break, there was a yellow card for Kevin Roberts, as he fouled Ashton 15 yards into the home half of the pitch. 

From the free kick the ball found it’s ay out wide on the right and York came in between two defenders before sending over an inviting cross that was bundled home, but not before the referee’s whistle went for a foul to save the home side. 

Straight away we were back on the attack and when Clarke’s slow shot was blocked by the keeper’s legs the nearest defender could only pass it back to Glennon and concede an indirect free kick outside of the posts and five yards from the line. 

Clarke didn’t drive in on goal but laid it square along the six yard box, but behind all the attacking red shirts! 

A handball 25 yards out and in front of goal, gave Jennings an opportunity to test the home defence but his effort sailed high into the Halifax fans grouped behind that goal. 

Ht Halifax 1-0 Wrexham 

There was a booking for Simon Ainge, just seconds into the second half as he took out Harris right on the halfway line. 

From the free kick Halifax failed to clear their lines and Moult was denied in a scramble as his effort was blocked eight yards out. 

On 51 minutes Moult’s twisting run to the edge of the home box was too much for Marc Roberts, who fouled him and in the referee’s opinion was last man and sent the centre half off. This incensed his manager Neil Aspin so much, that his comments to the fourth official earned him a sending off. 

Moult took the free kick from 19 yards out and forced Glennon to tip his effort over for a corner. 

Halifax re-organised their line up by taking off Adam Smith and sending on Matty Pearson. 

To show they were still in the game, the Shaymen so nearly grabbed a second goal moments later as Scott Boden forced a save from Coughlin and with the Wrexham keeper still on the ground. 

But the equaliser followed shortly afterwards as Ashton crossed into the box and Louis Moult’s flick header carried over the leaping Glennon to nestle in the back of the home net. 

Straight from the kick off, Halifax swept forward down their left and as the ball was sent across the face of the Wrexham goal Danny Hattersley popped up to fire home from close range. 

Clarke took a wayward clearance on 65 minutes and set Moult free, but Glennon once again denies the striker by standing up and saving with his legs. 

A second sub for Halifax with 20 minutes left saw Richard Peniket replace Boden, while Elliott Durrell was on for Keates and Andy Bishop replaced Jennings. 

A minute later from our right wing corner, Blaine Hudson had a clear sight of the Halifax goal with a back post header but put his chance over the crossbar. 

With 11 minutes left, a Durrell corner from the right was met by a flashing header by Ashton that flew across the face of the goal. 

Halifax answered with some pressure of their own and Peniket got a lucky bounce that dropped into his path and with only Coughlin to beat he fired into the side netting. 

A second equaliser arrived on 83 minutes, as Moult was in the right place to finish off a pass Bishop, much to the delight of the 350 travelling fans. 

Bish then almost rounded the night off, when his superb ball to Durrell should have been taken first time, but the winger cut back and the opening was lost. 

Into added time, as the ball came back out from a corner, Harris sent in a low shot that missed the target by only inches. 

A late booking for Harris as he pushed his mad from behind. 

In the end even five minutes of added time couldn’t see the sides split and we had to settle for a point. 

FC Halifax Town: Glennon, K Roberts, M Roberts, McManus; Ainge, Marshall, Schofield (Maynard 76); Smith (Pearson 56), Hattersley, Boden (Peniket 70). 
Subs: Senior, Jackson. 

Wrexham: Bachmann, Carrington, Smith, Hudson, Ashton; York, Keates (Durrell 70), Clarke, Harris; Moult, Jennings (Bishop 70). 
Subs: White, Hunt, Holman. 

Referee: Simon Bennett (Staffs)
Attendance: 1,617 
Away: 358 

Bookings -
Halifax: Roberts (39, foul), Ainge (46, foul) 
Wrexham: Harris (90, foul)

    Latest Match Reports