Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 11 Oct 14 at 17:26 PM

Mariners Spoil The Party

It was not supposed to happen like this.

In front of more than 8,000 fans at a sold-out Racecourse Ground, Grimsby Town failed to read the script for the 150th anniversary match, bagging the points thanks to a first-half Lenell John-Lewis (28) penalty.

Referee Brett Huxtable further incurred the wrath of Wrexham fans with the 79th dismissal of top scorer Louis Moult.

Whether or not the occasion overawed them, Wrexham simply failed to produce the goods against a well-drilled, party-pooping Mariners side.

The pre-match build up had reached fever pitch long before the Racecourse turnstiles opened. When they did Reds fans tumbled through in their droves as they headed into the famous old ground over an hour before kick-off to catch all the entertainment that had been meticulously planned for several months.

The early attendees, which included 50 former Wrexham players spanning five decades watched on as prodigal son Rockin' Robin flew back into the nest now occupied by Wrex the Dragon. 

After a walk-around delighting children and adults alike by posing for pictures Rockin stepped his giant feet aside for the Fron Male Voice Choir, including legendary Wrexham fan and kop choirmaster Jacko, to serenade us.

The heavens opened as the fireworks display drew attention to the giant unused terrace before the teams entered the field to a cacophony of noise.

After a spine-tingling rendition of the Welsh national anthem, Reds fans were in full voice just 20 seconds into the game when Wrexham won their first corner.

James McKeown punched Dean Keates' in-swinger away from under his cross-bar before collecting a Louis Moult drive minutes later.

Jack Mackreath then pulled a shot wide as the frenetic pace continued.

The Mariners starting bossing the free-kick count as the Reds made a few over-zealous challenges on the greasy surface, however Andy Coughlin remained largely untroubled.

McKeown flung himself full stretch to shepherd a Keates set-piece just wide of the post from 25 yards before the visitors drew first blood.

Mark Carrington brought down Aswad Thomas in the box and referee Huxtable pointed to the spot before booking the Reds defender.

Coughlin went the right way but John-Lewis put his spot kick right in the corner of the goal.

Keates fired another free-kick, this time over the bar as Wrexham regained some composure five minutes before the break. 

Elliott Durrell replaced Keates 10 minutes into the second half and immediately 
almost drew Wrexham level, with a fierce drive that was heading for the net before a Mariners' defender got in the way.

McKeown then lost out to Wes York just outside the 18 yard box, but escaped with a yellow card for scything the winger down when he shaped to shoot on the turn from distance.

Wrexham faced an uphill struggle when Moult was dismissed for a late challenge on Craig Disley with 11 minutes remaining.

The Dragons pressed for the equaliser, but the visitors held firm to inflict a first home defeat in four outings for Wrexham, on a day it will hurt more than usual.

Wrexham: Coughlin, Carrington, Smith, Hudson (Holman, 87), 
Ashton: Clarke, Harris, Keates (Durrell, 54), York; Moult, Bishop (Jennings, 78), 

Subs: White, Hunt.

Referee: Brett Huxtable (Devon) 
Attendance: 8,164 
Away: 360 

Booked -
Wrexham: Carrington, Ashton 
Grimsby: McKeown (foul), Brown, Pearson 

    Latest Match Reports